Dubai Future Accelerators (DFA) announced a $33.5M US deal between government entities and their first round of startups. Over 65 per cent of startups in the program struck a deal between the seven government entities to create a prototype or pilot program of their technology in Dubai.
The academy will also offer a range of minor courses in subjects related to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, such as Blockchain, artificial intelligence, deep learning, biotechnology, etc.
The program, which began in September paired 30 companies from across the word with seven of Dubai’s founding entities: Health, Energy, Knowledge, Municipality, Police, Transport and the investment portfolio Dubai Holding.
Less than 2 per cent of the 2274 companies from 73 countries on all 7 continents who applied were chosen to join the inaugural program. The companies, which range from Fortune 100 multinational Honeywell to adventurous startups like Hyperloop One, were chosen primarily on their ability to execute on their visions for the future.
Fourteen international companies taking part in the program have relocated their headquarters to Dubai. This proves the UAE’s newfound attractiveness among technology companies, which, until recently, opted to set up within established innovative environments elsewhere, such as Europe or Silicon Valley.
Round One of the program increased Dubai’s total spend on research and development by 6 per cent in just three months. This, in turn, boosts the emirate’s competitiveness, and signals its transition to an innovation-led economy.
His Excellency Mohammed Al-Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and The Future, and Vice Chairman of the Dubai Future Accelerators said:
“The UAE has become the foremost global platform for turning the future into reality. It is the ideal destination to materialize innovative ideas into tangible projects that have a significant impact on the economy and society – projects that can create better lives for us and for future generations.”
The second round of the DFA will see five additional government and private entities join the program – namely, the Department of Economic Development, Dubai Smart Office, the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs, Etisalat, and du – bringing the total to 13 entities.
The second round of the Dubai Future Accelerators program is set to begin in Q1 2017 with applications opening on Monday, December 12, 2016.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019