Dubai Future Accelerators (DFA) announced a $33.5M US deal between government entities and their first round of startups. Over 65 per cent of startups in the program struck a deal between the seven government entities to create a prototype or pilot program of their technology in Dubai.
The academy will also offer a range of minor courses in subjects related to the Fourth Industrial Revolution, such as Blockchain, artificial intelligence, deep learning, biotechnology, etc.
The program, which began in September paired 30 companies from across the word with seven of Dubai’s founding entities: Health, Energy, Knowledge, Municipality, Police, Transport and the investment portfolio Dubai Holding.
Less than 2 per cent of the 2274 companies from 73 countries on all 7 continents who applied were chosen to join the inaugural program. The companies, which range from Fortune 100 multinational Honeywell to adventurous startups like Hyperloop One, were chosen primarily on their ability to execute on their visions for the future.
Fourteen international companies taking part in the program have relocated their headquarters to Dubai. This proves the UAE’s newfound attractiveness among technology companies, which, until recently, opted to set up within established innovative environments elsewhere, such as Europe or Silicon Valley.
Round One of the program increased Dubai’s total spend on research and development by 6 per cent in just three months. This, in turn, boosts the emirate’s competitiveness, and signals its transition to an innovation-led economy.
His Excellency Mohammed Al-Gergawi, Minister of Cabinet Affairs and The Future, and Vice Chairman of the Dubai Future Accelerators said:
“The UAE has become the foremost global platform for turning the future into reality. It is the ideal destination to materialize innovative ideas into tangible projects that have a significant impact on the economy and society – projects that can create better lives for us and for future generations.”
The second round of the DFA will see five additional government and private entities join the program – namely, the Department of Economic Development, Dubai Smart Office, the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs, Etisalat, and du – bringing the total to 13 entities.
The second round of the Dubai Future Accelerators program is set to begin in Q1 2017 with applications opening on Monday, December 12, 2016.
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019
- Mike Tyson Launches Fight to Fame – Crypto-Driven, Blockchain-Fueled Fighter Booster - August 14, 2019
- Blox Survey: Ninety-Five Percent of US CPAs Believe Clients are Not Disclosing All their Digital Assets and Transactions - August 13, 2019
- New Zealand Allows for Employee Payments to be Made in Cryptocurrency - August 13, 2019
- USA SEC Postpones Decision on Three Bitcoin ETFs - August 13, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Thefts, Scams and Fraud May Exceed $4.3 Billion For 2019 - August 12, 2019
- China’s Central Bank Gears Up to Launch it’s Own Cryptocurrency - August 12, 2019
- Overstock: Retail Traders Can Now Invest in STOs at tZERO - August 9, 2019
- Merj Rolls Out The First-ever Official Listing Of A Tokenized Security On A Regulated National Stock Exchange - August 9, 2019
- Commerzbank And Daimler Trucks Test Machine-to-machine Payments On Blockchain - August 9, 2019
- Africa’s Youth See A Future For Bitcoin Beyond Speculation - August 8, 2019
- Blockchain VR Network Set to Launch - August 8, 2019
- China’s LiveDAO To Tap 5G Tech for Live Broadcasting - August 8, 2019