The UK Channel Islands Securities Exchange (CISE) has become home to the world’s first listed regulated cryptocurrency fund.
Global Advisors, the investment manager of the Global Advisors Bitcoin Investment Fund PLC (GABI), is delighted to announce that the CISE has approved the admission to listing of all of the redeemable participating no par value shares of the open ended bitcoin fund. The CISE listing means that GABI becomes the first regulated bitcoin fund to be listed on any exchange globally.
GABI was launched in 2014 as the world’s first regulated bitcoin fund when it received certification as an Expert Fund from the Jersey Financial Services Commission. Its listing on the CISE means that it joins over 2,000 listed securities on the exchange comprising a market capitalisation of over £300 billion. It is the first digital asset-related listing on the exchange.
Fiona Le Poidevin, CEO of the CISE, said:
“I have followed GABI since its prominent launch and it is very exciting that we are able to play a part in the next chapter of this innovative structure.”
Jonathan Bale of MJ Hudson, a specialist alternative asset law firm has been representing the firm through the listing process. Mr. Bale, who is also a director of GABI’s listing sponsor, Verras Professional Services Limited, says that GABI will now be able to demonstrate the oversight, due diligence and monitoring that comes with regulation and an exchange listing.
“This is testament to the hard work that Global Advisors’ principals, Daniel Masters, Jean-Marie Mognetti and Russell Newton, have put in to evolving an institutionally robust offering.”
Mr. Masters says the strong fundamentals of bitcoin helped push Global Advisors and GABI towards listing GABI. “The time is right. Bitcoin now has a market capitalisation of over $12.4 billion, an all-time high, with approximately 16 million coins in issue. Bitcoin is the leading digital currency, ranking 73rd in total amount in circulation on the global list of M1 forms of money. Several leading analysts are now covering the currency, with a recent report from Canaccord Genuity projecting an eight-fold increase in implied value within a decade.”
GABI is the third exchange listing for Global Advisors. The firm currently manages two Bitcoin Exchange Traded Certificates – COINXBT and COINXBE – on NASDAQ’s OMX in Stockholm. Mr. Masters says that the firm is developing as a leading platform for digital assets combining digital asset management, direct market access and working with start-up firms developing distributed ledger technologies, including Glint, Gradbase and Aventus Systems.
“GABI is our flagship,” Mr. Masters says. “It provides professional management of the risks associated with holding bitcoin, and is focused on outperforming bitcoin in US dollars, which it has shown a strong track record of doing. As fund managers, we have a number of powerful tools to generate alpha, including arbitrage, pair-trading, cash and carry and coin lending. Today’s listing of GABI on the CISE acknowledges how far we have come over the last two years since GABI was launched as the world’s first regulated bitcoin fund, as well as the transformational role bitcoin is starting to play as a global currency and its emergence as an important, uncorrelated asset class for investors.”
GABI has returned 57% (2016 year to date) to investors and listed on the Channel Islands Securities Exchange today.
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019