South Korea’s financial authorities on Tuesday announced a plan to launch a full-scale pilot project this year on Blockchain-powered financial services.
A government-civilian consortium on Blockchain was created last month. It involves 16 local banks and 25 brokerage firms.
“It plans to embark on a pilot project in earnest this year,” Jeong Eun-bo, vice chairman of the Financial Services Commission, told the Korea Herald.
“The banking industry plans to study ways that customers can use Blockchain technology in changing banks designated for foreign exchange transactions without documents and complicated procedures.”
“Within financial investment circles,” he added. “Investors will be able to do away with time-consuming login and authentication procedures in accessing the mobile trading systems of securities companies.”
The Korea Exchange, the country’s sole equity marketplace, also has been seeking to apply Blockchain technology to OTC stock trading.
Jeong pointed out that the “Blockchain revolution” is said to be the equivalent of the “Internet revolution” in the 1990s.
“Blockchain technology has great potential to be used in finance and various other fields,” he said. “Since South Korea has the world’s top-level ICT technology, it will be able to lead the international trend in the Blockchain sector if the government, related industries and experts pool their wisdom.”
- OneFeather and BlocPal to Provide First Nations with Digital Financial Services - July 23, 2019
- Government Committee Wants Total Ban on Cryptocurrencies in India - July 23, 2019
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Historic $224 Million SIM Swap Lawsuit by Crypto Luminary Michael Terpin Against Telco Giant AT&T Mobility - July 23, 2019
- RENBDO: First ICO Approved by European Commission – 70 Percent Funding From EU - July 22, 2019
- Chinese Government Blockchain Standardized Certification Received by Lenovo, Alipay, and Aelf - July 22, 2019
- KPMG Teams Up With Tomia, Microsoft And R3 To Create A Near Real-time Settlement Network For Telecom Companies - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based ‘Lunar Registry’ Launched - July 22, 2019
- Daimler launches hardware Car Wallet with RIDDLE&CODE - July 22, 2019
- Ugandan President to Explore use of Blockchain to Tackle Counterfeit Drugs - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019