South Korea’s financial authorities on Tuesday announced a plan to launch a full-scale pilot project this year on Blockchain-powered financial services.
A government-civilian consortium on Blockchain was created last month. It involves 16 local banks and 25 brokerage firms.
“It plans to embark on a pilot project in earnest this year,” Jeong Eun-bo, vice chairman of the Financial Services Commission, told the Korea Herald.
“The banking industry plans to study ways that customers can use Blockchain technology in changing banks designated for foreign exchange transactions without documents and complicated procedures.”
“Within financial investment circles,” he added. “Investors will be able to do away with time-consuming login and authentication procedures in accessing the mobile trading systems of securities companies.”
The Korea Exchange, the country’s sole equity marketplace, also has been seeking to apply Blockchain technology to OTC stock trading.
Jeong pointed out that the “Blockchain revolution” is said to be the equivalent of the “Internet revolution” in the 1990s.
“Blockchain technology has great potential to be used in finance and various other fields,” he said. “Since South Korea has the world’s top-level ICT technology, it will be able to lead the international trend in the Blockchain sector if the government, related industries and experts pool their wisdom.”
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019