According to a recent report, the US Department of Energy (DOE) has tipped that they are currently exploring new approaches to leverage Blockchain technology for improving the current energy infrastructure.
From the report:
The DOE is currently investigating novel approaches to leverage and explore Blockchain technology, initially developed within the financial sector, for the realization of robust fossil energy-based systems.
In recent years, the financial world has ushered in a new wave of digital currencies including Bitcoin, which is one of the most popular [Nakamoto, 2008; Andreessen, 2014; Chuen, 2015].
…A potential example of Blockchain implementation for energy systems would be envisioning nodes within sensor networks as ‘observers’ and the relevant ‘transactions’ as command signals to actuators. Implementation of a Blockchain-based open ledger of all actuation commands ever made by a hardware component may then make it possible to detect and mitigate false command signals (i.e. from hackers) and other cybersecurity threats for the achievement of a robust, reliable system.
Proposals are sought to develop novel concepts for energy systems that rely on Blockchain technology to assure robust systems that are less susceptible to cyber-attack. Direct use of real-time measurement data from sensor networks and/or “smart” components that feature embedded instrumentation or other enabling technologies that support the industrial “Internet of Things (IoT)” is strongly encouraged. Project objectives will include software development, preliminary testing to establish proof of concept, and an approach for full integration of the Blockchain-based software with system hardware at lab-scale and/or pilot scale.
According to a report in Econotimes, various other government departments in the US have been increasingly taking interest in the blockchain technology. In July 2016, the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) sought paper submissions on the topic of blockchain technology and its potential uses in the healthcare industry. More recently, the US Department of Commerce is hosted a public meeting to discuss the potential for interoperability across digital registries and also focus on emerging technologies such as blockchain technology and open source platforms.
- CEO Patrick M. Byrne Resigns From Overstock Over ‘Deep State’ Comment and Affair with a Russian Spy – Stock Rises - August 22, 2019
- Telx Technologies Launches World’s First Cryptocurrency Sim Card Wallet And Phone Number - August 22, 2019
- Chainalysis Launches Real-Time Alerts for Suspicious Transactions For 15 Cryptocurrencies - August 22, 2019
- Factom Launches New Stablecoin called PegNet Stablecoin - August 22, 2019
- HitBTC Cryptocurrency Exchange Offers Massive Rate Cuts - August 22, 2019
- American Classic Beer Miller Lite Teams Up with Blockchain Vatom Labs to Create New Customer Experiences - August 21, 2019
- WordProof and WORBLI Partner To Bring Online Content Transparency Using Blockchain Technology - August 21, 2019
- Polkadot Cuts Deal with Blockchain – 41M Wallets to get Polkadot.Network DOTS - August 20, 2019
- David Chaum’s New Quantum-Resistant Digital Currency, Praxxis, Has Arrived - August 20, 2019
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019