IBM has rolled out an enterprise-ready build-your-own Blockchain platform and announced a collaboration with Canada’s SecureKey on the commercial development of a federated identity service using the Hyperledger Frabric.
Dubbed ‘IBM Blockchain’, the new framework is designed to help developers create, deploy and manage highly secure Blockchain networks on the IBM Cloud. Clients ranging from startup Everledger to financial services firms Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ and Northern Trust are among the organisations already running their DLT applications on IBM’s Hyperledger Fabric.
Marie Wieck, general manager, IBM Blockchain, says:
“IBM’s Blockchain services are built on IBM’s High Security Business Network and designed for organisations that require Blockchain networks that are trusted, open and ready for business.”
The tamper-resistant toolset is augmented with new governance rules for assigning roles and levels of visibility into the Blockchain network from a single dashboard, and an open-source developer kit for creating API-based user interfaces to the network.
The Blockchain-as-a-service platform made its debut at Big Blue’s InterConnect developer conference, where the computing giant also announced a collaboration with SecureKey to create a digital identity and attribute sharing network running over a permissioned Blockchain.
The network is currently in the testing phase in Canada, and once it goes live later in 2017 Canadian consumers will be able to opt-in to the new service using a mobile app.
Six of Canada’s leading financial institutions participated in a $27 million funding round for SecureKey in October last year and pledged their support to the development of the network which will enable consumers to use their online banking credentials to log in to public and private sector Web services.
IBM’s Wieck says the approach will help tackle the toughest challenges surrounding identity.
“This method is an entirely different approach to identity verification, and together with SecureKey, we have a head start on putting it on the Blockchain,” she says. “This is a prime example of the type of innovation permissioned Blockchain networks can accelerate.”
Eddy Ortiz, VP, solution acceleration and innovation, RBC, concurs:
“Canada has an important opportunity to innovate with emerging technologies like Blockchain to advance digital identity in Canada.”
The InterConnect conference also featured the launch of a new set of building blocks for the creation of financial services apps on the IBM Cloud.
Initially available in beta, the tools are designed to simplify the time-consuming tasks of selection, mapping and data integration for firms when combining IBM services with their own data.
Other initiatives spotlighted at the event include the development of a Singapore fintech hub with the support of the country’s government and an expansion of IBM’s business partner programme for financial services.
- European Commission Releases New Support Paper on Blockchain – Further Funding for Startups Encouraged - September 19, 2019
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019