Waves has launched its flagship Euro gateway, which will allow users of the platform to deposit and withdraw Euros directly from within the lite client, holding and trading them directly from their Waves accounts as WEUR Blockchain tokens.
The Waves Euro token is provided through a financial arrangement with a fully licensed and compliant gateway partner. All regulatory requirements including KYC and AML are met by the partner, at the point at which money enters or leaves the Blockchain.
As a cryptographic token, WEUR itself can be sent and received anywhere in the world quickly and at low cost, and held and traded securely, thanks to the efficiencies of the Blockchain.
“This is a major step forward for the Waves platform and for the Blockchain world in general,”commented Sasha Ivanov, CEO of Waves. “Waves users can now trade bitcoin, WAVES and all Waves tokens against an asset that is backed 1:1 by Euro deposits and that can be redeemed for Euros at any time.”
Blockchain store of value
This is not the first fiat-backed token to exist on the Blockchain. Ivanov was an early pioneer of backed cryptographic tokens, launching a USD-backed asset on the Nxt platform several years ago. However, the WEUR token represents a new development in the crypto world, due to the compliant nature of the gateways and the advanced functionality of the Waves platform.
“It is not within Waves’ remit to try to replace money,” continues Ivanov. “We already have money – USD, EUR, BTC and so on. But we know we can make it better, more transparent and efficient, by using the Blockchain.”
One of the primary applications for the WEUR token to begin with will be as a store of value that will allow traders to park funds safely and in a stable medium, without the risk of holding money on a centralised exchange. Using the DEX, Waves’ decentralised exchange, Euro-backed tokens can be traded directly against BTC tokens (WBTC, also provided through a secure gateway), WAVES itself or any number of other custom tokens that have been created on the platform by businesses seeking to make use of Waves’ extensive functionality.
EUR 100,000 liquidity
In order to kickstart and facilitate this process, Waves will deposit EUR 100,000 through the gateway and make these WEUR tokens available by placing orders against BTC and WAVES on DEX. This will make it possible for users to start trading against WEUR immediately and to acquire the token without having to deposit funds through the gateway. WEUR can be transferred freely within the Blockchain system, with AML/KYC only taking place when holders cash out via the gateway to a bank account.
- Katallassos Launches a Standard Framework for Decentralised Derivatives - January 11, 2019
- Dutch Crypto Trading Marketplace Cryptohopper at CES 2019 - January 8, 2019
- Interview with Ammbr – A Blockchain-Enabled Mesh Network Bringing High Speed Internet to Emerging Economies - January 8, 2019
- Zion Market Research Report Explains: Global Blockchain In Energy Market likely to grow to USD 11,899 Million By 2024 - December 27, 2018
- Blythe Masters Resigns as CEO of Digital Asset - December 18, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures Uses Ravencoin Blockchain for Equity Purchase in Chainstone Labs – Completes $3.6 Million Securities Token Transfer - December 18, 2018
- Despite Market Downturn – eToro Survey Reveals Strong Interest in Cryptoasset Education - December 18, 2018
- BlockIMMO brings Blockchain Technology Platform to Tokenize Fractional Real Estate Investment - December 17, 2018
- Algorand Appoints Dual Ph.D. Rock Star Pablo Azar as Chief Economist - December 17, 2018
- Dascoin – Anatomy of Multilevel Marketing Crypto Scam – Coinmarketcap Zero - December 17, 2018
- Dutch Blockchain Company Tymlez Group Starts Trading on Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) - December 13, 2018
- DNAtix Releases Live Demo of its Blockchain based Genetic Infrastructure Platform - December 11, 2018
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain - December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 - December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund - December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution - December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans - December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global - December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City - November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018