Decentraland, a distributed platform for a shared virtual reality world in which participants navigate, discover, and interact with others, has today announced its token launch for ERC-20 token MANA, successfully closed in 10 seconds with participants from across the globe contributing the equivalent of $25 million USD in ETH.
Decentraland Project Lead Ari Meilich said:
“Decentraland is extremely grateful for the community’s support in making our token launch an incredible and immediate success. We are delighted to now increase our platform’s development and open our virtual world to collaboration from content creators all over the world. Decentraland also extends its thanks to those supporters who didn’t manage to participate and encourages them to take advantage of our other initiatives to earn MANA tokens, be it through our Visions Program or the continuous MANA issuance.”
Due to enormous demand for MANA, Decentraland has announced an additional whitelist of 1,500 engaged supporters who will have the opportunity to purchase a second round of MANA early next week at a discount.
More than 2 billion MANA tokens were issued in the launch. Supporters that missed out on participating in the launch can still earn MANA tokens through Decentraland’s Visions Program and the continuous MANA Issuance Stage, which will allow a decreasing percentage of the initial supply of MANA to be bought from the smart contract each year, with limited supply over time. Decentraland intends to protect the token from inflation by making users burn MANA to claim LAND.
Bitcoin Suisse AG CEO Niklas Nikolajsen said:
“Bitcoin Suisse is pleased to have assisted Decentraland with their ICO and provided them with crypto-financial services. A world leading crypto-asset broker and wealth manager, Bitcoin Suisse AG was entrusted with the pre-allocation of the token sale to help ensure a subsequent, fair distribution of MANA tokens, as well as providing necessary AML/KYC services.”
Developers can build and monetize applications on the Decentraland platform and use MANA to buy LAND and other in-world goods and services. The value of LAND is based on its proximity to high-traffic hubs, and its ability to host in-demand applications. Decentraland has partnered with district0x, a collective of decentralized marketplaces and communities, to give users the ability to trade land in the secondary market. Although unclaimed LAND can be purchased at the same exchange rate (1,000 MANA = 1 LAND), differences in positions and traffic could potentially see LAND parcels trade at different prices on a secondary market.
Assets raised in the token launch will be distributed as follows: 50% will be reserved for development, 20% for research, 15% for marketing and community development, 10% for operations and business development, and the remaining 5% for legal costs.
Ari Meilich said:
“The global gaming community has shown enormous demand for our decentralized virtual reality platform and Decentraland is proud to be offering this to our supporters. We are confident that, following our token launch, Decentraland will enable content creators to push the boundaries of virtual reality and offer gamers unprecedented experiences.”
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019