Maecenas, a decentralized art gallery democratizing access to fine art, has announced its public token crowdsale launching September 7, 2017 at 5pm CEST. Maecenas will offer ART tokens which will let users auction masterpieces on its blockchain-powered platform. Maecenas is among the first projects to pass through Cofound.it, the leading platform for training the world’s most promising blockchain startups. It will leverage Cofound.it’s Priority Pass to host a token pre-sale commencing September 5, 2017 at 5pm CEST. The minimum sale threshold is $3 million USD, with a milestone target of $10 million USD, and a $20 million USD hard cap.
“Who wouldn’t want a piece of a Picasso?” Maecenas CEO Marcelo Garcia Casil said. “Until now, only the super-rich took an interest in fine art auctions. But we divide paintings into digitized fragments so that they are affordable. Many more people will now have access to the world of fine art.”
Maecenas injects liquidity and transparency into a $65 billion annual fine art industry currently dominated by exclusive auction houses and private dealers. Museums, galleries, and collectors sell masterpieces directly to the Maecenas community without paying traditional transaction fees of up to 30 percent.
“As for artists’ names, works by Rubens, Goya, and Picasso have already been proposed to us,” Jérôme Croisier, Maecenas Chief Art Officer said.
The ART utility token functions as a clearing and settlement mechanism for all transactions of artwork on the Maecenas ecosystem. Blockchain technology is used to break down a single piece into many fragments and create tamper-proof digital certificates denoting ownership. Supporters will be able to use ART tokens in auctions to bid for these certificates.
“The art world has been in need of modernizing, people have been craving greater transparency and liquidity,” Amelie Janssens, project management head at Notz Stucki, one of Europe’s largest asset management companies, said. “It is great to see Maecenas providing innovative solutions, bringing a new frontier for art.”
The Maecenas team is comprised of experts in financial technology and the arts. CEO Marcelo Garcia Casil previously held technical leadership positions at global banks Barclays Investment Bank, Credit Suisse, and National Australia Bank, where he designed and developed large-scale enterprise-grade systems. In addition, Garcia Casil is the Singapore Chapter Chair of the International Blockchain Real Estate Association. Maecenas Chief Art Officer Jérôme Croisier is an independent art historian and advisor with more than 20 years’ experience. Croisier’s art history research has been published in several books. Maecenas Founding Partner Miguel Neumann has more than 15 years’ experience in large-scale transactional platforms for tier-1 investment banks. Neumann has been involved in the Fine Arts space for more than eight years, with his experience including several exhibitions and successful sales.
In addition to being accepted to the Cofound.it incubation program, which grants the project access to world-leading experts in crowdsales, blockchain technology, and cryptocurrency, Maecenas has a network of distinguished industry leaders advising the project. Advisors include IG Bank CEO Fouad Bajjali, Helvetica Swiss Insurance CEO Tom Ludescher, legal expert Gimena Rabinad, Tryb Capital Partner Markus Gnirck, Aumakua Venture Fund Partner Scott Huan, Lightbulb Capital Partner Daniel Liebau, Grant Thornton Partner Luis Pastor, Wilbe Ventures Partner Alessandro Maiano, and Finarchitects Founder Philippe Beckers.
Maecenas Advisor and Founder of Swiss accelerator Fintech FUSION Guillaume Dubray said:
“FUSION advised the team to focus on one industry, the Fine Art Market. The team quickly seized the opportunity and has been able to create a unique product with enormous potential.”
Maecenas has studied global financial jurisdictions, built a minimal viable product, and lined up masterpieces to be offered on the platform. Maecenas will dedicate up to $10 million USD towards operational costs to launch its platform and open in markets around the world. Contributions beyond the $10 million will be dedicated to purchasing artworks for sale on the platform by auction.
Supporters can participate in the Maecenas crowdsale with Ethereum (ETH).
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience - February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020
- Dubai Wants to Clone Crypto Valley in the Desert - January 29, 2020
- The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) to Launch Blockchain-Based, Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) - January 29, 2020