DigitalTown (OTC PINK:DGTW), a leading provider of smart city portal solutions, has announced the launch of a Blockchain-based Distributed Ledger for managing shared ownership of each city in its global network of city portals.
The move, they say, heralds a new era for empowering public-private partnership in the development of thriving local economies.
DigitalTown operates a global network of more than 20,000 city portals such as Nashville.city that make it easy for residents and visitors to search, share and shop local. Each city portal is equipped with SmartSearch, a powerful local search engine that provides locally relevant information tailored to personal preferences. Registered merchants are provided with an online storefront with which they can sell locally and globally, paying only transaction fees. All legal residents are provided with a free SmartWallet that includes a verified online identity with which they can securely engage and transact with services from both the public and private sector.
For cities where the municipality, or its proxy itself does not license the platform for their city, each resident of a city is to be allocated a fractional ownership unit of the city platform. The units may be claimed during a defined subscription period, after which the distributed units become freely traded and accessible to both residents and non-residents.
Rob Monster, CEO of DigitalTown, commented on the launch:
“Since the advent of online search, local and regional institutions such as municipalities, chambers of commerce, convention and visitor bureaus, destination marketing organizations, trade associations, as well as other local institutions have been competing with each other for ranking in search engines. In many cases, they have also experimented with buy local initiatives using directories of local merchants but with no ability to transact. These uncoordinated digital efforts have often resulted in an inconsistent user experience causing both locals and visitors to rely on non-local online tools to find out where to go, what to do, as well as where to stay, shop or eat. Local ownership of a unified city platform provides the organizing framework to regain control over the online economy, achieve self-sustaining economic development, and equip local stakeholders to win in the Digital Age.”
A Breakthrough for City Innovation
The DigitalTown SmartCity platform provides cities with the tools required to compete in the Digital Age:
A Single Verified Login for the City: The DigitalTown single-sign-on SmartWallet provides every registered citizen with a free verified login with which they can securely connect and transact both locally and globally across both public and private services – everything from local shopping, booking a table at a restaurant or signing up for parks and recreation. Community members and businesses can also securely transmit funds in real-time without fees using their SmartWallets.
A storefront for every business: DigitalTown provides integrated solutions for local commerce across retailers, service providers, dining, and lodging. Registered businesses can secure a free storefront with which to begin transacting immediately. Merchants pay only transaction fees, often far below the fees to which merchants are subjected to when consumers don’t buy local, e.g. paying up to 40% for a hotel booking.
A secure platform for local innovation: Software developers in a city can use DigitalTown’s Application Program Interface (API) at no cost. During London Tech Week in June 2017, attended by more than 50,000 delegates from both London and abroad, nearly 400 developers participated in the Smart.London global Hackathon sponsored by DigitalTown in cooperation with our London-based partners.
Shared Local Ownership for Aligned Incentives and Local Innovation
Across the global network of more than 20,000 cities, DigitalTown has reserved 80% ownership interest of each city portal for local and regional institutions who are committed to local online economic development. Local owners who enter partnership agreements with DigitalTown are also granted ‘Right of First Refusal’ for each city portal, thereby securing a path to consolidating full local ownership. Centralized payment processing by leading global payment processors provides a seamless path for the municipality, or its proxy, to become the Merchant of Record.
A Scalable Model for Local City Platform Ownership
To bring about such an important change, DigitalTown is partnering locally and globally. In the US, DigitalTown is working in cooperation with long-standing institutions such as local Chambers of Commerce, Trade Associations and the Municipalities themselves. Individuals from around the world are encouraged to sign up at DigitalTown.com to secure their ownership interest in their local city platform, and to be eligible to participate in future auctions for unclaimed units for their city. A copy of the Blockchain whitepaper describing the fractional ownership distributed ledger can be obtained at DigitalTown.com/blockchain.
As part of the worldwide rollout of the DigitalTown SmartCity platform, DigitalTown is scheduled to exhibit at the following events: World Chambers Federation in Sydney from September 19-21, International City Managers Association Expo in San Antonio from October 22-25, and Smart City Expo in Barcelona from November 13-15. Major rollouts are now in progress in London (Smart.London), Miami (Smart.Miami), Nashville (Nashville.city), San Diego (SanDiego.city). New multi-stakeholder city rollouts have now been confirmed for Bavaria, (.bayern), Charleston (Charleston.city), Melbourne (.melbourne), Nordrhein-Westfalen (.nrw), Sydney (.sydney), and Vienna (.wien).
DigitalTown, Inc. (DGTW) powers Smart Cities to succeed in the Digital Age. The company provides turn-key hosted solutions to power “Digital Towns”, which improve Quality of Life for residents and visitors through integrated solutions for economic development, civic engagement and digital inclusion for cities around the world. For more information about the company, please visit www.digitaltown.com.
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019