MailTime, a YCombinator company that makes email as quick and easy as texting launches its own crypto token to reward users for sharing anonymous data.
It’s no longer a secret that technology companies are collecting and mining user data. Users download an app which seems to be a free, but unknowingly they compromise their data as a trade-off. Users’ data has value and companies are reaping massive profits from it. The team behind MailTime believes that some of the value users are generating should come back to them.
Built on Ethereum, Measurable Data Token (MDT) creates a cryptographically secured, blockchain-based data exchange economy where users are compensated with tokens for the actual anonymous data points exchanged. It also proposes a new data exchange model where all transactions are based on smart contract technology, which helps enforce performance of the deals.
Debuted at the TechCrunch Startup Battlefield SF, MailTime was awarded one of the App Store’s Best of 2015 by Apple and has now reached more than 5 million downloads. Meanwhile, the company has also been working on its own email data intelligence product which extracts the value of over 15 billion anonymous email data collected from its service. MailTime attracts paying businesses from merchants, game companies to investors. After years of experience in data intelligence, the team realized that no solutions fairly compensate consumers for contributing data.
“What distinguishes MDT is it’s built on established projects with millions of users,” said Heatherm Huang, a serial entrepreneur and co-founder of MailTime. “And it’s proposing a new ecosystem where mainstream users can relate to and actually participate in.”
By installing the SDK provided by MDT, any service provider will be able to share data revenues with its users. The team added that they would first introduce two features in its own MailTime app for users to earn and spend MDT tokens by 1) Advertise with your own email signature, 2）Send VIP mail to those who won’t disclose their email addresses.
The MDT team are veterans of consumer apps and and big data. They have successfully developed two popular messenger apps, MailTime (with 5 million users) and Talkbox Voice Messenger (which was the first voice messenger app with 13 million users) and an email intelligence product syncing over 15 billion anonymous data.
MailTime has raised over $3M VC funding from investors including Mark Pincus (Founder of Zynga), ZhenFund, Gary Rieschel (Qiming, Softbank), Crystal Stream (VP of Engineering of Baidu), Y Combinator, and DHVC. The foundation of MDT just finished its private sale of around $6M from many prestigious cryptocurrency investors within only 4 days, and is looking to run its Token Distribution Event in the following month.
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020
- Dubai Wants to Clone Crypto Valley in the Desert - January 29, 2020
- The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) to Launch Blockchain-Based, Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) - January 29, 2020
- Swiss company Overfuture To Offer Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding (Security Token Offering) - January 29, 2020