MailTime, a YCombinator company that makes email as quick and easy as texting launches its own crypto token to reward users for sharing anonymous data.
It’s no longer a secret that technology companies are collecting and mining user data. Users download an app which seems to be a free, but unknowingly they compromise their data as a trade-off. Users’ data has value and companies are reaping massive profits from it. The team behind MailTime believes that some of the value users are generating should come back to them.
Built on Ethereum, Measurable Data Token (MDT) creates a cryptographically secured, blockchain-based data exchange economy where users are compensated with tokens for the actual anonymous data points exchanged. It also proposes a new data exchange model where all transactions are based on smart contract technology, which helps enforce performance of the deals.
Debuted at the TechCrunch Startup Battlefield SF, MailTime was awarded one of the App Store’s Best of 2015 by Apple and has now reached more than 5 million downloads. Meanwhile, the company has also been working on its own email data intelligence product which extracts the value of over 15 billion anonymous email data collected from its service. MailTime attracts paying businesses from merchants, game companies to investors. After years of experience in data intelligence, the team realized that no solutions fairly compensate consumers for contributing data.
“What distinguishes MDT is it’s built on established projects with millions of users,” said Heatherm Huang, a serial entrepreneur and co-founder of MailTime. “And it’s proposing a new ecosystem where mainstream users can relate to and actually participate in.”
By installing the SDK provided by MDT, any service provider will be able to share data revenues with its users. The team added that they would first introduce two features in its own MailTime app for users to earn and spend MDT tokens by 1) Advertise with your own email signature, 2）Send VIP mail to those who won’t disclose their email addresses.
The MDT team are veterans of consumer apps and and big data. They have successfully developed two popular messenger apps, MailTime (with 5 million users) and Talkbox Voice Messenger (which was the first voice messenger app with 13 million users) and an email intelligence product syncing over 15 billion anonymous data.
MailTime has raised over $3M VC funding from investors including Mark Pincus (Founder of Zynga), ZhenFund, Gary Rieschel (Qiming, Softbank), Crystal Stream (VP of Engineering of Baidu), Y Combinator, and DHVC. The foundation of MDT just finished its private sale of around $6M from many prestigious cryptocurrency investors within only 4 days, and is looking to run its Token Distribution Event in the following month.
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019