A new USD-backed stablecoin, TrueUSD launched Wednesday. Offering cryptocurrency traders a hedge against volatility, TrueUSD provides full collateral, regular auditing and legal protections to redeem tokens for USD, says the company’s launch announcement. Early access to TrueUSD is now available for institutional accounts, hedge funds, traders and exchanges.
“We believe TrueUSD will provide a long-awaited, stable trading instrument for cryptocurrency traders, and enables consumers and businesses to use a cryptocurrency as a medium of exchange,” the company stated.
With the price volatility of cryptocurrencies, most businesses still find them impractical to use in the mainstream economy, and this prevents their widespread adoption, according to the company’s statement. In the decentralized economy, many decentralized applications will be difficult or impossible without a basic medium-of-exchange token, it states.
Starting with USD, the company says that it plans to extend its model to other fiat currencies, such as the Euro and Yen, as well as precious metals like gold and diamonds. Other assets like stocks and real estate could follow, it says.
It states that it plans to present price deviations with USD as an opportunity for arbitrage and will make TrueUSD available on multiple exchanges, with an announcement expected by the end of February.
TrueUSD was developed by TrueCoin using its TrustToken platform. The TrueCoin team are alumni of Stanford, UC Berkeley, Palantir, and Google; backers include Founders Fund Angel, Stanford-StartX, FJ Labs, 1kx, and Blocktower Capital, according to the company’s website. The service’s legal framework for collateralized cryptocurrencies was developed in collaboration with WilmerHale and Arnold & Porter, and has a network of fiduciary, compliance, and banking partners.
“I’ve eagerly awaited the launch of a transparent and regulatory compliant stablecoin,” commented Ari Paul, co-founder of BlockTower Capital. “TrueUSD will make it easier for BlockTower to trade cryptocurrency across exchanges. BlockTower are proud investors in and advisers to TrustToken. We’re likely to also be early users of their ‘killer app’ collateralized stablecoin, TrueUSD.”
For more technical and legal details vist the company’s FAQ page.
- Wanchain CEO Jack Lu: Why 2.0 is a Milestone for the Entire Blockchain Industry - July 23, 2018
- Hit the Road, Jack. Wanchain 2.0 and WanLabs Kick Off European Tour - July 20, 2018
- Peter Gabriel Backs British Blockchain Startup Provenance - July 18, 2018
- Bitfinex CEO Hits Back at Fraud Expert’s Study Linking Tether to Crypto Price Manipulation - June 13, 2018
- Pundi X Moves Into Europe - June 5, 2018
- Dying for Crypto: The Ultimate ICO Publicity Stunt? - May 25, 2018
- Blockchain City Dubai Hosts Showstopping Summit, Unveils Registry to Expedite Business - May 8, 2018
- Crypto Tax: Victory for Tokenized Protest & Calls for Worldwide Reform - April 26, 2018
- Taking the Temperature at London’s Blockchain Expo 2018 - April 24, 2018
- Death Knell for Crypto in Poland? Poles Mobilze to Protest Crippling Tax Law - April 11, 2018
- Taiwan’s NOWnews Announces Plan to Launch Blockchain-Based Media Platform - April 3, 2018
- Study on 100 ICOs Identifies Social Reach, No. Of Advisors and a Raise of $10M as Key Factors for Success - April 2, 2018
- Exchange Group TMX Issues Guidance to Crypto and Blockchain Issuers - March 30, 2018
- DeepMind’s AI Pioneers Launch Fetch.ai – the World’s First Smart Ledger - March 29, 2018
- Kleros Joins Forces with Dether to Launch Decentralized Arbitration for Cryptocurrency Traders - March 26, 2018
- Future Crypto: 7 Clean Sneaks Past China’s ICO Ban - March 26, 2018
- Proxeus & Mount10 Partner to Provide Military-Grade Storage Security - March 22, 2018
- Playboy Pounces on Blockchain, Plans Crypto Wallet - March 14, 2018
- Crypto Leaders Speak out as US Regulatory Uncertainty Around ICOs Continues - March 9, 2018
- EU Proposes Pan-European Licensing Plan for ICOs - March 8, 2018