Forbes has released its first ever list of cryptocurrency’s richest individuals, the publication announced today. Although slowing now, the technology’s upward trend has created multiple billion-dollar fortunes with unheard of haste, stated Forbes. The list includes the top 20 earners in cryptocurrencies and features Ripple co-founder Chris Larsen, the Winklevoss twins and heads of exchanges like Coinbase and Binance.
The publication emphasizes that figures are estimates and liable to change on an almost daily (sometimes hourly) basis, given the volatile nature of the assets. But it states that each entrants’ wealth has been verified, with some providing detailed proof to aid in the investigation. Figures such as the illusive Satoshi Nakamoto, purported to be one of the wealthiest of all the crypto billionaires, aren’t included as their identities weren’t verifiable.
“Our first-ever Crypto Rich list provides a snapshot of a pivotal moment, part of the transparency needed to pull crypto away from its provenance as an unknown currency,” said Randall Lane, Chief Content Officer, Forbes Media, in a statement.
Although the figures haven’t remained at the heady heights of December, which saw Chris Larsen’s fortune exceed USD 20 billion, considerable fortunes have been made, says Forbes. Larsen is worth an estimated USD 8 billion; Ethereum co-founder, Joseph Lubin, is worth between USD 1 billion and USD 5 billion and Binance CEO, Changpeng ‘CZ’ Zhao, between USD 1 billion and USD 2 billion.
Forbes estimates that there are now nearly 1,500 crypto-assets in existence, valued at an aggregate of USD 550 billion, up 31 times since the beginning of 2017.
When compiling Forbes’ (necessarily inexact) list of the wealthiest people in crypto, the values used were as of Friday, January 19, 2018.The top 10 are included below and you can see the rest of the list here
|Name||Title||Crypto Net Worth|
|Chris Larsen||Cofounder, Ripple||$7.5 billion – $8.billion|
|Joseph Lubin||Cofounder, Ethereum and Founder, Consensys||$1 billion – $5 billion|
|Changpeng ‘CZ’ Zhao||CEO, Binance||$1.1 billion – $2 billion|
|Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss||Cofounders, Winklevoss Capital||$900 million – $1.1 billion each|
|Matthew Mellon||Individual investor||$900 million – $1 billion|
|Brian Armstrong||CEO, Coinbase||$900 million – $1 billion|
|Matthew Roszak||Cofounder, BloQ and Founder, Tally Capital||$900 million – $1 billion|
|Anthony Di Iorio||Cofounder, Ethereum and Founder, Jaxx and Decentral||$750 million – $1 billion|
|Brock Pierce||Chairman, Bitcoin Foundation and Advisor, Block.One||$700 million – $1 billion|
|Michael Novogratz||CEO, Galaxy Digital||$700 million – $1 billion|
- Wanchain CEO Jack Lu: Why 2.0 is a Milestone for the Entire Blockchain Industry - July 23, 2018
- Hit the Road, Jack. Wanchain 2.0 and WanLabs Kick Off European Tour - July 20, 2018
- Peter Gabriel Backs British Blockchain Startup Provenance - July 18, 2018
- Bitfinex CEO Hits Back at Fraud Expert’s Study Linking Tether to Crypto Price Manipulation - June 13, 2018
- Pundi X Moves Into Europe - June 5, 2018
- Dying for Crypto: The Ultimate ICO Publicity Stunt? - May 25, 2018
- Blockchain City Dubai Hosts Showstopping Summit, Unveils Registry to Expedite Business - May 8, 2018
- Crypto Tax: Victory for Tokenized Protest & Calls for Worldwide Reform - April 26, 2018
- Taking the Temperature at London’s Blockchain Expo 2018 - April 24, 2018
- Death Knell for Crypto in Poland? Poles Mobilze to Protest Crippling Tax Law - April 11, 2018
- Taiwan’s NOWnews Announces Plan to Launch Blockchain-Based Media Platform - April 3, 2018
- Study on 100 ICOs Identifies Social Reach, No. Of Advisors and a Raise of $10M as Key Factors for Success - April 2, 2018
- Exchange Group TMX Issues Guidance to Crypto and Blockchain Issuers - March 30, 2018
- DeepMind’s AI Pioneers Launch Fetch.ai – the World’s First Smart Ledger - March 29, 2018
- Kleros Joins Forces with Dether to Launch Decentralized Arbitration for Cryptocurrency Traders - March 26, 2018
- Future Crypto: 7 Clean Sneaks Past China’s ICO Ban - March 26, 2018
- Proxeus & Mount10 Partner to Provide Military-Grade Storage Security - March 22, 2018
- Playboy Pounces on Blockchain, Plans Crypto Wallet - March 14, 2018
- Crypto Leaders Speak out as US Regulatory Uncertainty Around ICOs Continues - March 9, 2018
- EU Proposes Pan-European Licensing Plan for ICOs - March 8, 2018