Cardano Foundation, an organisation providing objective support for blockchain developer, Cardano, has published a report with think-tank Z/Yen, examining how quantum computing could threaten the security of public key cryptography.
The report, entitled “The Quantum Countdown: Quantum Computing and the Future of Distributed Ledger Encryption”, is part of the Swiss-based Cardano Foundation and Z/Yen’s Distributed Futures research programme, dedicated to blockchain, cryptocurrencies and artificial intelligence. Authored by technology legal expert Maury Shenk, it finds that if – and when – large-scale quantum computers become available, they would break the security of widely-used public key cryptography, which allows remote parties to communicate securely and authenticate transactions without sharing a secret key in advance.
As well as explaining how quantum computing threatens public key cryptography, the report considers the available solutions to the problem and provides frameworks for deciding when and how to respond.
Distributed Futures, led by Professor Michael Mainelli, co-founder of Z/Yen, shares intelligence on blockchain cryptocurrencies, FinTech, RegTech, and other topics where disruptive technology meets finance.
Michael Parsons, Chairman of the Cardano Foundation, explained the organization’s rationale: “As part of our extensive blockchain research programme with Z/Yen, we are exploring a range of issues from the technological, to regulation and governance and industry applications. The topics explored are forward-looking by their very nature, and the possible impact of quantum computing on the blockchain is a case in point.”
For more information on the Cardano Foundation: https://cardanofoundation.org
For more information, on Z/Yen visit: http://www.zyen.com/events/distributed-futures.html
- Wanchain CEO Jack Lu: Why 2.0 is a Milestone for the Entire Blockchain Industry - July 23, 2018
- Hit the Road, Jack. Wanchain 2.0 and WanLabs Kick Off European Tour - July 20, 2018
- Peter Gabriel Backs British Blockchain Startup Provenance - July 18, 2018
- Bitfinex CEO Hits Back at Fraud Expert’s Study Linking Tether to Crypto Price Manipulation - June 13, 2018
- Pundi X Moves Into Europe - June 5, 2018
- Dying for Crypto: The Ultimate ICO Publicity Stunt? - May 25, 2018
- Blockchain City Dubai Hosts Showstopping Summit, Unveils Registry to Expedite Business - May 8, 2018
- Crypto Tax: Victory for Tokenized Protest & Calls for Worldwide Reform - April 26, 2018
- Taking the Temperature at London’s Blockchain Expo 2018 - April 24, 2018
- Death Knell for Crypto in Poland? Poles Mobilze to Protest Crippling Tax Law - April 11, 2018
- Taiwan’s NOWnews Announces Plan to Launch Blockchain-Based Media Platform - April 3, 2018
- Study on 100 ICOs Identifies Social Reach, No. Of Advisors and a Raise of $10M as Key Factors for Success - April 2, 2018
- Exchange Group TMX Issues Guidance to Crypto and Blockchain Issuers - March 30, 2018
- DeepMind’s AI Pioneers Launch Fetch.ai – the World’s First Smart Ledger - March 29, 2018
- Kleros Joins Forces with Dether to Launch Decentralized Arbitration for Cryptocurrency Traders - March 26, 2018
- Future Crypto: 7 Clean Sneaks Past China’s ICO Ban - March 26, 2018
- Proxeus & Mount10 Partner to Provide Military-Grade Storage Security - March 22, 2018
- Playboy Pounces on Blockchain, Plans Crypto Wallet - March 14, 2018
- Crypto Leaders Speak out as US Regulatory Uncertainty Around ICOs Continues - March 9, 2018
- EU Proposes Pan-European Licensing Plan for ICOs - March 8, 2018