Launched in London on Monday, Global Digital Finance (GDF), a non-profit industry body of key stakeholders and industry leaders, is to examine best practice with a view to drafting a global Code of Conduct for cryptocurrencies. With cryptoassets being global in nature, the organizers are convinced that a shared understanding of opportunities, risks and practices is needed in order to achieve a positive transformation for financial services, society and the global economy.
With an estimated market size of USD 500 billion, GDF said the visibility of cryptoassets and the potential of continuing innovation appear to offer many new and different opportunities for consumers, businesses and governments. Many professionals in financial markets see tokens and distributed ledger technology bringing significant potential value to create efficient, fair and transparent market structures in the coming decade, the group added.
However, without the timely development of standards and coordination, both industry and regulators could misuse and misrepresent this transformative technology, said the group.
“There have been a number of positive initiatives to bring standards to the cryptocurrency sector around token sales (also known as ICOs) and tokens, and GDF has brought together some of the biggest industry players and influencers to move this agenda forward with global policy makers and regulators”, stated Simon Taylor, former Barclay’s Bank blockchain development lead, who heads up the GDF initiative.
Taylor has enlisted the support of Lawrence Wintermeyer, the former CEO of Innovate Finance and Jeff Bandman, a former FinTech advisor and innovation specialist at the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
GDF said it wants to build a path towards efficient, fair and transparent markets for every type of token, distributed ledger technology (DLT) or cryptoasset. Already engaged with regulators and industry bodies in the US and Europe, GDF said it is committed to further outreach to policymakers, regulators and industry, including working with the OECD to promote a coordinated policy approach from governments.
Greg Medcraft, Director of the Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs at OECD, stated: “Cryptoasset applications, like ICOs, hold clear potential and are global in reach, but are subject to a wide range of regulatory treatments across jurisdictions. This demonstrates the need for international policy coordination, and the first step is to establish a common understanding. We welcome GDF’s initiative to develop a taxonomy and a Code of Conduct, and the OECD looks forward to collaborating with industry on these priorities.”
GDF’s first steps will address ICOs and token markets, estimated to have raised up to USD 6 billion. Urgent challenges include the need for a common understanding on the nature of tokens and how they may be utilized in distributed ledgers and other innovations, as well as the financial stability and market integrity implications of greater exposure to tokens, said the organization. Other key areas are better protection for vulnerable investors and a common approach to Anti Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing.
GDF said it aims to have a draft Code of Conduct available in Q2 2018 for wider industry review, with an adoption goal in the second half of year.
For further information see: https://gdf.io/
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018
- Loom’s Popular dApps Enable Ethereum Development at Scale - July 11, 2018
- Crypto Theft Surges in 2018. This Company Offers a Solution - July 11, 2018
- Token Gesture by SEC Director William Hinman - July 10, 2018
- Block.One Brings in Jefferies Asia Head to Lead EOS VC - July 9, 2018
- IBM Wins Billion Dollar Blockchain Contract in Australia - July 9, 2018
- Blockchain Banking Milestone: European Banks Complete First Live Trades on We.Trade Platform - July 5, 2018
- Tax Authorities Unite to Target Cryptocurrency Crime - July 5, 2018
- Globacap Raising Capital on Own Platform with UK FCA Backing - July 5, 2018
- Blockchain Close to Breakout Moment: Deloitte Survey - July 5, 2018
- Survey Finds Turkey is Europe’s Most Crypto-Friendly Nation - July 4, 2018
- Music Streamer Choon Starts Public Sale After Banking $2 Million - July 4, 2018
- Russian Military Sets Up Blockchain Research Lab - July 3, 2018
- TrustLogics Recruitment Platform Wins Stevie Award - July 3, 2018
- IP Gold Ditches Ethereum for NEM Blockchain - July 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Lead $12 Million Funding Round for StartUp Access Platform Republic - July 2, 2018
- Are Digital IDs the Start of a Blockchain-Based Service Economy for the Cayman Islands? - July 2, 2018
- QRL Launches Quantum Resistant Blockchain - June 29, 2018
- User Friendly Exchange Targets US Crypto Newbies - June 29, 2018
- Dash Doc Highlights Digital Currency Solution for Zimbabwe - June 28, 2018
- Virtual Twin Method Wins EU Anti Counterfeit Challenge - June 27, 2018
- Stanford University Takes Blockchain Leap - June 27, 2018
- Dutch Airport Adds Bitcoin ATM for Euro Exchange - June 26, 2018
- SharesPost Gets $15 Million to Expand Security Token Trading - June 25, 2018
- Eidoo Unveils Crypto Sculpture in London - June 25, 2018
- Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis Cultivators - June 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Inks Deal with Mayo Clinic to Advance Health Tech - June 21, 2018
- TrustToken Raises $20 Million with Major VC Support - June 21, 2018
- Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platform - June 20, 2018
- AlphaPoint Raises $15 Million with Galaxy Ventures Funding - June 19, 2018
- Fractional Shares in Robinhood, Ripple and Didi Available From Swarm Fund - June 19, 2018
- WAVES Tokens Take a Ride on OKEX Exchange - June 18, 2018
- Europe’s Leading Parking Services Network Launches ICO - June 18, 2018
- Hdac Scores with World Cup TV Blockchain Advert - June 15, 2018
- Swedish Sports Brand Puts Same-Sex Marriage on the Blockchain - June 15, 2018
- Whale Hunter Spiking Links with AntShares Founder’s Latest Blockchain, Nebulas - June 15, 2018
- Swytch Pilots Clean Energy Rewards in Germany, Launches ICO - June 14, 2018
- Coinbase Opens Index Fund for Investments up to $20 Million - June 14, 2018
- South Africa Reserve Bank Makes Progress with Quorum Blockchain Pilot - June 12, 2018
- Wallets and Exchanges Fail Identity Check Test - June 12, 2018
- Now ‘Ask Juliet’ for Crypto Tips on TokenAI - June 11, 2018
- Iconic Warhol on Slate at Blockchain Auction - June 8, 2018
- “Quasi Unicorn” Hyperchain Seals RMB 1.5 Billion Financing - June 8, 2018
- COBINHOOD Launches DEXON Platform for Faster Processing - June 7, 2018
- Subway Jumps on FoodLogiQ Supply Chain Pilot - June 7, 2018