Following a USD 30 million funding round, Electrify.Asia, an e-commerce marketplace for electricity in Southeast Asia, on Wednesday announced a partnership with decentralized marketplace for real-time data, Streamr. The collaboration will see the two blockchain-based projects explore integration of user data from Electrify’s IoT device – the PowerPod – putting users back in control of their data.
As part of their project to develop a smart contract-driven energy marketplace that includes peer-to-peer (P2P) energy trading, Electrify.Asia will deploy their proprietary device, the PowerPod, to track and audit energy production from small-scale producers and log the data onto a blockchain, a key factor in P2P energy trading. This data, along with other relevant environmental information, will provide valuable insights to parties both within and beyond the ecosystem, according to the company’s statement.
A McKinsey report highlighted strong concerns over data privacy. As the amount of data and its variety of sources exponentially grows, users may not even be aware of how their data is used. According to the release, Streamr’s platform will allow users to take ownership of data generated from their devices, facilitating information transfer from buyer to seller directly and, according to permissions defined by users themselves. The company aims to be the world’s leading information marketplace where users can buy and sell real-time data from IoT and more traditional sources like finance, commerce, travel, weather and social media.
“We know there is a huge injustice at the heart of our modern economy,” said Henri Pihkala, CEO of Streamr, in a statement. “People are generating data, but are unable to personally realise its value. Instead, others are reaping the rewards. Like Streamr, Electrify, shares the same values and a similar technical vision. We both want to utilise the power of decentralised networks to put ordinary people back in control.”
Electrify is currently heading a pilot of this project with data-collection from the PowerPod at 5-minute intervals through WiFI, 3G, 4G and landline connections.
Onboarding for Electrify’s PowerPod is expected to be completed to coincide with the launch of Streamr’s Marketplace in Q2 2018.
For more information on Streamr visit: https://www.streamr.com/
For more information on Electrify.Asia visit: http://electrify.asia/
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018