On Friday, online securities brokerage Monex Group announced a deal to acquire recently hacked crypto exchange Coincheck for JPY 3.6 billion (USD 33.5 million). The two Tokyo-based firms plan to finalize the deal on April 16, at which point Coincheck CEO Koichiro Wada (pictured, right, alongside Monex Group CEO Oki Matsumoto) and board member Yusuke Otsuka will become the company’s Executive Directors. Monex officer Toshihiko Katsuya will take over as head of Coincheck.
The purchase represents just one way in which Coincheck is maturing in the wake of its historic hack. Once a dominant exchange in Japan, the exchange suffered a hack of USD 500 million worth of NEM tokens in a January hack, according to Bloomberg, prompting the Japanese government to demand tighter security from crypto exchanges. Those internal changes are being undertaken, said Monex in a statement. In their eyes, Coincheck still has enough brand value to warrant the deal.
“Coincheck is in the process of enhancing its governance and internal control,” said Monex. “We aim to build a secured business environment for customers by fully backing up Coincheck’s enhancement process. We will support Coincheck to provide [a] secure environment to customers and grow sustainably as a socially valuable cryptocurrency exchanger.”
Monex expressed confidence that its history and status as a top Japanese brokerage service has given it enough “expertise and human resources” to help lead Coincheck through the necessary changes. Ultimately it plans to make Coincheck public, according to Reuters. Investors promptly applauded the move, sending Monex shares up 20 percent, the most allowed by the rules of the Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Monex thinks the future of brokerage space is in crypto. With Coincheck, they’ve acquired a company and a brand that is ready to help them start delivering on that future immediately—even if they need to patch a few things up first.
- TOOL Global Launches OLO Token To Monetize User Behavior - July 23, 2018
- Stratis Steam Ahead with Sidechains, Third Release This Month - July 2, 2018
- What’s Behind the $575 Million TaTaTu Private Sale? - June 25, 2018
- Constellation Launches Orion Community Portal, Airdrops DAG Tokens - June 22, 2018
- Is Metronome’s “Un-ICO” the Next Cryptocurrency Evolution? - June 18, 2018
- Zenodys Launches Private Sale for CoinZZ Token Ahead of July ICO - June 4, 2018
- Block.one Closes Record $4 Billion ICO of EOS - June 1, 2018
- Guardium ICO Adds XPRIZE’s Peter Diamandis as Participant, Advisor - May 30, 2018
- SingularityNET Launches $100 Million Industry Initiative to Fund and Support AI Blockchain Projects - May 25, 2018
- Bitmain Bets $110 Million That Circle Can Create the One True Stablecoin - May 17, 2018
- Is EOS Dumping Ether? Market Analyst Santiment Thinks Not - May 14, 2018
- Constellation Sets out to Build Fast, Scalable Blockchain Using DAG - April 17, 2018
- Monex Buys Post-Hack Coincheck for $33.5M, Aims For Eventual IPO - April 9, 2018
- Award-Winning Eligma Announces $24M ICO To Unify Online Shopping - April 5, 2018
- Algebraix Launches Public Token Sale With Help From CoinList API - March 29, 2018
- ALAX and Gionee Partner to Bring Mobile Gaming to the World’s Underbanked - March 22, 2018
- Havven Raises $30m for USD-Pegged Stablecoin Network - March 2, 2018
- iOlite Launches Foundation and ICO to Democratize Smart Contracts - March 2, 2018
- Australia’s Shping Launches Token to Change How Advertisers Reach Consumers - February 26, 2018
- HelloGold’s GOLDX: World’s First Shariah-Compliant Crypto Asset - February 21, 2018