Codex announced on Tuesday a partnership with ConsenSys to host a live charity auction using its Biddable platform at the upcoming Ethereal Summit in New York City on May 11 and 12. It will mark the first time that arts and collectibles will be written into the Codex blockchain. A third partner, Rare Art Labs, will also sell a broader array of artwork at the event, with all proceeds going to a foundation being established to support projects at the intersection of blockchain and art. Codex says it is creating the first immutable art registry on the blockchain, allowing art holdings to become part of a diversified portfolio while providing an unbroken record of ownership and authenticity.
Unlike other major asset classes, the arts & collectibles market lacks a formal title registry, making it difficult to buy, sell, securitize, insure, and lend against the asset class, according to Codex’s statement. Using its application, Biddable, Codex says that buyers and sellers alike will be able to participate in auctions with greater market transparency — increasing privacy, security, and accuracy across the ecosystem. They will receive a Codex title, which provides them with an accurate and immutable ledger of verifiable provenance and authenticity.
“It has been our goal at Codex to harness the power of blockchain technology to realize the true value of arts and collectibles,” Codex CEO Mark Lurie said, in a statement. “By partnering with ConsenSys and Rare Art Labs at Ethereal Summit, we have an opportunity to make this goal a reality, showcasing our unique value proposition and demonstrating to crypto-holders that art and collectibles is an important and viable part of a diversified investment portfolio.
“At Codex, we are keen to develop tools which are helpful for the artistic community and recognize that artists play an important role in the development and dissemination of new technologies. Establishing the foundation allows us to offer financial support to the artistic community to encourage them to engage with blockchain.”
Ethereal Co-Creator and ConsenSys Director Jesse Grushack added, “The sale of artworks by Codex Protocol and Rare Art Labs will surely be a highlight of this year’s event. It will showcase to the world that blockchain is more than just a buzzword. It’s a technology with the potential to make a tangible impact on the modern economy and society. We look forward to seeing the auction promote artists working in this important area and demonstrating real interest in arts and collectables from the crypto community.”
The Ethereal Summit is for investors, government officials, and entrepreneurs focusing on blockchain technology and applications for cultural projects. Codex will also provide bidding capabilities via a mobile application for investors who cannot attend the Summit in person.
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- ABBC Foundation to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018