A new research lab, set to be built at the UK’s Edinburgh Napier University, is expected to explore the ways in which blockchain technology can protect users’ personal data online, according to an April 25 announcement.
The laboratory will be built at the university’s Merchiston campus as part of a USD 827,130 collaboration between the university and Hong Kong’s Blockpass, a blockchain based, self-sovereign identity protocol for the connected world. The three-year project will see the creation of the Blockpass Identity Lab and includes funding for research staff, PhD students and a virtualized blockchain environment.
Blockpass says it is using blockchain technology to develop an identity verification platform. As data breach scandals at companies like Equifax, Yahoo and Uber highlight the risks of centralizing the storage of user data, Blockpass is using blockchain technology to develop alternatives that give users control of their identity and allow them to choose who can access their personal data, a statement explained.
“The creation of this lab in conjunction with Edinburgh Napier University will provide a space where further research and innovation can lead that discussion to newer and more advanced grounds,” said Blockpass Chief Marketing Officer Hans Lombardo.
One focus of the lab will be to establish innovative, citizen-focused systems that preserve the right to privacy.
“The world is changing and cryptography is now being used to fix many of the problems we have created on the internet. It can now help create a better society, with the citizen at its core,” stated Professor Bill Buchanan of Edinburgh Napier’s School of Computing, who is also the director of the Lab. “We aim to contribute to the building of a new world, based on blockchain. Whether it is health and well-being, or the changing of our public services, it is likely to be blockchain methods that will provide the foundation for the future.”
- Gaimin Lets You Mine Crypto From a Gaming PC - May 24, 2018
- Investing Platform eToro Launches in US, Plans Gibraltar Expansion - May 21, 2018
- Top 20 US Blockchain Job Markets 2018 - May 18, 2018
- Bitfinex Teams up with Connamara for FIX Digital Asset Gateway Release - May 17, 2018
- IBM and Global Citizen Partner on Donation-Tracking Blockchain Platform - May 15, 2018
- Pioneering De Beers Blockchain Pilot Tracks Diamonds From Mine to Retail Outlet - May 11, 2018
- How Widespread is Cryptocurrency Ownership? Survey - May 10, 2018
- Gartner Survey Reveals Death of Current Blockchain Deployments - May 9, 2018
- Blockpass Partners with Scottish University for Research Lab - May 4, 2018
- Ripple Adds Five New xVia Customers to Global Payments Network - May 3, 2018
- WISeKey Partners With SAT to Expand Presence in Middle East - May 3, 2018
- One in Five Financial Firms Considering Crypto Trading: Thomson Reuters Survey - May 2, 2018
- Bitcoin ATM Network Coinsource Partners with Multi-Factor Authenticator Acuant - May 2, 2018
- WISeKey Teams Up with Soul Machines to Develop Humanlike Bot for Security Q&A - May 1, 2018
- Peoplewave Launches ICO Presale for Wavebase HR Platform - April 27, 2018
- Ether Capital Launches on NEO Exchange - April 27, 2018
- Frankl Launches Airdrop for Scientists and Students - April 25, 2018
- Crypto Exchange and Trading Platform VRBex Launches Presale - April 25, 2018
- Former Google Execs Form New Blockchain Alliance - April 23, 2018
- Blackmoon Launches Asset-Management Platform Services - April 20, 2018