A survey, published on Wednesday, by Berlin-based Dalia Research provides insights into global cryptocurrency awareness and ownership.
Within the countries included in the survey, only 7 percent of people said that they own own cryptocurrency: 11 percent in Japan; 9 percent in the U.S.; 6 percent in Germany and 3 percent in China.
According to the survey, 4 percent of global respondents said they intended to purchase a form of cryptocurrency. Seventy-four percent were aware of the term cryptocurrency, and 49 percent of respondents said they had knowledge of cryptocurrency.
In Japan and South Korea, about 60 percent of the online population was reportedly aware of what cryptocurrencies are, though the survey said the same countries show the lowest buying intentions for the next six months, according to Dalia Research.
Japan also displays the highest level of adoption and is the sole nation that scored in double digits for ownership, coming in at 11 percent. The UK and the U.S. both landed in second place with about 9 percent ownership levels.
It’s in education that the research found the sharpest gender gap between male and female respondents’ knowledge of cryptocurrencies, with an average gap of 11 percent. However, Dalia Research explained a smaller gender gap occurred in China and India with cryptocurrency ownership—4 percent—whereas the U.S. saw a larger gap of 13 percent.
The company said it conducted the study via mobile phone among internet-connected individuals in the U.S., the UK, Japan, South Korea, India, Germany and Brazil, surveying nearly 30,000 respondents in a 24-hour period.
According to a statement, the primary goal of the research was to establish the ownership rate of cryptocurrencies.
- Gaimin Lets You Mine Crypto From a Gaming PC - May 24, 2018
- Investing Platform eToro Launches in US, Plans Gibraltar Expansion - May 21, 2018
- Top 20 US Blockchain Job Markets 2018 - May 18, 2018
- Bitfinex Teams up with Connamara for FIX Digital Asset Gateway Release - May 17, 2018
- IBM and Global Citizen Partner on Donation-Tracking Blockchain Platform - May 15, 2018
- Pioneering De Beers Blockchain Pilot Tracks Diamonds From Mine to Retail Outlet - May 11, 2018
- How Widespread is Cryptocurrency Ownership? Survey - May 10, 2018
- Gartner Survey Reveals Death of Current Blockchain Deployments - May 9, 2018
- Blockpass Partners with Scottish University for Research Lab - May 4, 2018
- Ripple Adds Five New xVia Customers to Global Payments Network - May 3, 2018
- WISeKey Partners With SAT to Expand Presence in Middle East - May 3, 2018
- One in Five Financial Firms Considering Crypto Trading: Thomson Reuters Survey - May 2, 2018
- Bitcoin ATM Network Coinsource Partners with Multi-Factor Authenticator Acuant - May 2, 2018
- WISeKey Teams Up with Soul Machines to Develop Humanlike Bot for Security Q&A - May 1, 2018
- Peoplewave Launches ICO Presale for Wavebase HR Platform - April 27, 2018
- Ether Capital Launches on NEO Exchange - April 27, 2018
- Frankl Launches Airdrop for Scientists and Students - April 25, 2018
- Crypto Exchange and Trading Platform VRBex Launches Presale - April 25, 2018
- Former Google Execs Form New Blockchain Alliance - April 23, 2018
- Blackmoon Launches Asset-Management Platform Services - April 20, 2018