UK-based startup Flyingcarpet has used a drone with AI capabilities to calculate the yield of a coconut farm in Papua New Guinea, a world first according to an announcement made by the organization on Thursday.
Charged with renewable energy, the drone was able to help coconut farmer Namaliu Jr. count his yield across over 100 hectares using high definition video cameras, according to a statement. This operation would otherwise take several workers multiple days to complete, and will allow Namaliu Jr. to better estimate his return on crop harvesting and prevent theft of his coconuts, said the company.
“This groundbreaking proof of concept demonstrates just a fraction of the potential that AI-powered drones with blockchain technology can do for improving the lives of people in emerging economies like Papua New Guinea, who typically do not have access to smartphones or the Internet,” stated Founder and CEO of Flyingcarpet Julien Bouteloup. ‘This is just one exciting use case for Flyingcarpet. The Air Network, and the machines which operate within it, has the potential to transform services across many industries, from the energy sector, infrastructure, logistics, as well as humanitarian efforts.”
Flyingcarpet is powered by the AIR Network protocol, a decentralized network used to deploy IoT devices including drones to collect data in a timely and cost efficient manner, especially when automating tasks that are otherwise expensive and labor intensive.
According to Flying Carpet, the AIR Network protocol allows multiple different stakeholders to benefit, inculding drone and charging dock owners, developers who can be rewarded in tokens for building applications for the network, and businesses and communities that employ the protocol to enhance their operations and reduce their costs.
Viktor Tron, one of the first Ethereum Foundation employees and a Flyingcarpet advisor said, “Julien and I share a common vision of fully decentralised supply chain economies. Drones are the future and the Flyingcarpet project offers a decentralised solution to industries like
agriculture and infrastructure. Julien is a passionate and dedicated entrepreneur and I believe he is the most capable person in the field to bring this project to scale.”
- FED Chairman Offers Lukewarm Response On Impact, Utility Of Existing Cryptocurrencies - July 20, 2018
- Boeing Brings In SparkCognition For Help Developing UAV Management Systems - July 19, 2018
- Nervos Network Nets Nearly $30 Million To Build Hybrid Blockchain Platform For Enterprise - July 19, 2018
- Chinese Blockchain Companies Continue To Flourish, If Only In Name - July 18, 2018
- G20 Report Outlines International Collaboration On Standards For Crypto-Assets - July 17, 2018
- Hong Kong Readies Regulator-Backed Trade Finance Platform - July 17, 2018
- RMB to BTC Trading Falls To 1%. Is China Really Out Of The Crypto Game? - July 16, 2018
- Chinese Internet Trends May Spell Trouble For “Disruptive” Crypto Payments - July 13, 2018
- LINE Plans July Cryptocurrency Exchange Launch - July 3, 2018
- McAfee Labs Report 6x Increase in Crypto Mining Malware Incidents in Q1 2018 - June 29, 2018
- Facebook Updates Policy To Allow Vetted Crypto Businesses to Advertise, ICOs Still Banned - June 27, 2018
- Following in Vitalik’s Footsteps? Polkadot’s Habermeier Awarded Thiel Fellowship - June 26, 2018
- SingularityNET and Project Shivom Using AI on Genomic Data to Extend Human Life - June 26, 2018
- Microsoft & EY partner for Royalty Distribution in Gaming - June 26, 2018
- Alibabacoin to Airdrop ABBC Tokens to First 500,000 Wallet Users - June 25, 2018
- Care Records of up to 30 Million UK NHS Patients go on Blockchain - June 25, 2018
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018