Orbs, focused on large-scale consumer blockchain applications with mass market appeal and functionality, has raised over USD 118 million to fund the development and launch of its platform.
According to a press release Tuesday, the company made the funding announcement at Consensus, stating that an alpha launch of its platform for early design partners will take place in June, allowing them to start mirroring traffic and testing.
Orbs says it’s working towards its goal, to commoditize blockchain infrastructure for large-scale consumer applications, by building a fully decentralized public platform that makes the transition easier for the industry as a whole.
The company said the platform features well-established infrastructure solutions such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and familiar terminology like Service Level Agreements (SLA), together with other dedicated resources.
Orbs was founded by entrepreneurs Tal Kol, Uriel Peled and Daniel Peled, who all have significant experience building consumer applications including successful acquisitions to Alibaba and Wix.com, according to a statement.
Among the early adopters of the network are Orbs’ initial design partners, including chat app, Kik; AdTech giant, Zinc designed with ironSource; business intelligence platform, Endor and payment platforms, PumaPay and Zooz.
“The positive reception of our project is a sign of the confidence our partners have in Orbs, and the demand for a specialized blockchain which can transform the consumer applications marketplace,” said Uriel Peled, co-founder of Orbs, in a statement. “The consumer applications marketplace is ripe for disruption. Orbs has the unique background and insights to design a blockchain for the specific needs of large consumer application developers.”
Orbs has recently released a position paper outlining its technology and strategy and a white paper for their own consensus algorithm, which outlines its focus on technological solutions needed for the consumer application market’s unique challenges.
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018