The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) has outlined its progress with Project Khokha, a Proof of Concept simulation of distributed ledger technology for wholesale payments and settlements.
The results of the pilot were announced in a recent statement by South Africa’s central bank, which is operating the Proof of Concept for interbank transfers on JPMorgan’s Quorum, an Ethereum based Blockchain.
In summary, the Reserve Bank is using Blockchain technology to gain a practical understanding of how it can work in conjunction with the country’s banking industry, and to assess the benefits distributed ledgers can provide. The Reserve Bank said it is not looking to replace its legacy systems at this stage, but is interested to examine how the Khokha system will work as a back up to its existing settlement systems.
Through the project, the bank said it has gained useful experience in a realistic test environment deploying different models, and it found that it could process the typical daily volume of the South African payments system in under two hours with full confidentiality maintained.
SARB said in the statement that its main goal for the project was to contribute to global initiatives in the application and use cases of distributed ledger technology. South Africa has already said that cryptocurrencies are defined as intangible assets rather than currency, requiring income derived from them to be declared, which means taxes apply to mining and exchange activity.
In its statement, SARB noted that Central Banks recognize the disruptive potential of FinTech and cryptocurrencies. This has prompted its FinTech unit to monitor the development of appropriate policy frameworks in order to gain insights.
“This project has laid the foundations for future collaborative work – essential in the blockchain context – and has fulfilled its objective of providing useful insights to all participants,” SARB said, in a statement. “This report notes that there are many issues to consider before the decision to take a DLT-based system into production can be taken. Some of these issues relate to the practicalities of implementation, but also to legal and regulatory factors and to the broader economic impact.
“One objective of Project Khokha is to provide a better understanding of how South African Multiple Option Settlement (SAMOS) system would integrate with a DLT system. The intention is not to consider changing the approach with the SAMOS replacement but to provide input to that project.
The future direction will also be influenced by further development of the technology and by central banks and other regulators globally continuing to contribute to this field of knowledge.”
In a country prone to high inflation country, ripe with corruption, the attraction of cryptocurrencies is understandably strong and manifest by widespread adoption among the population. South African based exchange Luno has highlighted that nearly 40 percent of Bitcoin transactions towards the end of 2017 were from South Africa.
- Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis Cultivators - June 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Inks Deal with Mayo Clinic to Advance Health Tech - June 21, 2018
- TrustToken Raises $20 Million with Major VC Support - June 21, 2018
- Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platform - June 20, 2018
- AlphaPoint Raises $15 Million with Galaxy Ventures Funding - June 19, 2018
- Fractional Shares in Robinhood, Ripple and Didi Available From Swarm Fund - June 19, 2018
- WAVES Tokens Take a Ride on OKEX Exchange - June 18, 2018
- Europe’s Leading Parking Services Network Launches ICO - June 18, 2018
- Hdac Scores with World Cup TV Blockchain Advert - June 15, 2018
- Swedish Sports Brand Puts Same-Sex Marriage on the Blockchain - June 15, 2018
- Whale Hunter Spiking Links with AntShares Founder’s Latest Blockchain, Nebulas - June 15, 2018
- Swytch Pilots Clean Energy Rewards in Germany, Launches ICO - June 14, 2018
- Coinbase Opens Index Fund for Investments up to $20 Million - June 14, 2018
- South Africa Reserve Bank Makes Progress with Quorum Blockchain Pilot - June 12, 2018
- Wallets and Exchanges Fail Identity Check Test - June 12, 2018
- Now ‘Ask Juliet’ for Crypto Tips on TokenAI - June 11, 2018
- Iconic Warhol on Slate at Blockchain Auction - June 8, 2018
- “Quasi Unicorn” Hyperchain Seals RMB 1.5 Billion Financing - June 8, 2018
- COBINHOOD Launches DEXON Platform for Faster Processing - June 7, 2018
- Subway Jumps on FoodLogiQ Supply Chain Pilot - June 7, 2018
- RecordFarm Token Lists on Coinbene - June 7, 2018
- Award-Winning Crypto Comedy: KevCoin the Movie Premieres June 28 - June 6, 2018
- SEC Appoints Crypto Securities Czar - June 6, 2018
- FundRequest Platform Rewards Open Source Software Fixes - June 5, 2018
- Cashaa Links to Populous Marketplace, Commences Token Redistribution - June 5, 2018
- Blockchain Expo Europe 2018 Rolls Into Amsterdam - June 4, 2018
- $300 Million Monster ICO Planned by Cables and Headphones Firm - June 4, 2018
- Swissport Explores Blockchain Potential for Airport Services - June 1, 2018
- Odyssey Lists on UpBit and Bitrex Ahead of OCpay System Launch - June 1, 2018
- Hey, Alexa… CREALOGIX Launches Banking Hub with Voice Recognition - May 31, 2018
- Pundi X Inks Deal with American Chamber of Commerce Korea - May 30, 2018
- Japan’s Gumi Games Founder Launches $30M Crypto Fund - May 30, 2018
- Peoplewave Lists HR Blockchain ICO on QUOINE Platform - May 29, 2018
- Five Cryptocurrencies Into One: Bitcoin Origin Launches Penta-Fork Multichain - May 28, 2018
- Singapore Regulator Blocks Unauthorised Security Token Trading - May 28, 2018
- Leading Loyalty Rewards Program Integrates Dash - May 28, 2018
- Seal Network Teams with Deloitte for EU Anti-Counterfeit Effort - May 28, 2018
- FunFair Launches Blockchain Casino Platform in Closed Beta - May 25, 2018
- On GDPR Day, a Blockchain Solution - May 25, 2018
- Ogilvy Hosts Rebranding Contest for Crypto Hopefuls in NYC - May 24, 2018
- MoneyToken Adds BCH, Brings Roger Ver and Mate Tokay on Board - May 24, 2018
- Japan’s Biggest Bank to Roll out Blockchain Payment System by 2020 - May 23, 2018
- Envion Legal Battle Is Latest Swiss Crypto Bust Up - May 22, 2018
- Kontakt.io Teams IoT Platform with IOTA’s Blockchain for Monitoring and Asset Tracking - May 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Launches MyClinic.com Telemedicine Platform - May 22, 2018
- Malta Picks Omnitude to Drive Blockchain Into Public Transport - May 21, 2018
- European Parliament Passes Resolution Supporting Blockchain Technology - May 21, 2018
- Leading Indian Banks Form Blockchain Trade Network with InfoSys - May 18, 2018
- Orbs Raises $118 Million to Fund Consumer Apps Blockchain Platform - May 18, 2018
- WordPress for Blockchain: Superblocks Launches with $1 Million in Funding - May 18, 2018