On Monday, the San Francisco-based team at Constellation announced two important milestones in their project to establish a global blockchain for peer-to-peer consumer-grade applications. The launch of their community portal, Orion, accompanied the distribution of the DAG tokens that had been created in a token generation event in May, as Blockchain News reported.
The product launch is an important sign of progress from a project with enormous ambitions and everything left to prove. Constellation aims to be a global network of community members that can use any device to transact, outsource work, and, most importantly, run consumer-grade decentralized apps (dApps), according to their white paper. Enabling that kind of processing throughput is the system’s directed acyclic graph — DAG, for short — a non-linear alternative to blockchain intended to scale as part of a network effect. It gives the token its name.
The Orion portal is the entry point for users to become node-carrying members of this network. In other words, success in getting users to sign up and engage with the community represents the closest thing Constellation has to a proof of concept until the mainnet launches.
Here’s a look at the state of the portal at the point of launch: impressively built out and somewhat populated, but understandably a minimum viable product.
According to a statement, the testnet is currently scheduled to launch at the beginning of August, a month back from the previous roadmap announcement in April. It will be at that point that DAG tokens become fully functional and users will need to stake the asset in order to validate transactions.
In preparation for the testnet launch, the team plans to airdrop six token allocations throughout the course of 2018, starting on July 7. There will be no initial coin offering (ICO), since the project raised over USD 33 million in a private pre-sale open only to accredited investors.
- TOOL Global Launches OLO Token To Monetize User Behavior - July 23, 2018
- Stratis Steam Ahead with Sidechains, Third Release This Month - July 2, 2018
- What’s Behind the $575 Million TaTaTu Private Sale? - June 25, 2018
- Constellation Launches Orion Community Portal, Airdrops DAG Tokens - June 22, 2018
- Is Metronome’s “Un-ICO” the Next Cryptocurrency Evolution? - June 18, 2018
- Zenodys Launches Private Sale for CoinZZ Token Ahead of July ICO - June 4, 2018
- Block.one Closes Record $4 Billion ICO of EOS - June 1, 2018
- Guardium ICO Adds XPRIZE’s Peter Diamandis as Participant, Advisor - May 30, 2018
- SingularityNET Launches $100 Million Industry Initiative to Fund and Support AI Blockchain Projects - May 25, 2018
- Bitmain Bets $110 Million That Circle Can Create the One True Stablecoin - May 17, 2018
- Is EOS Dumping Ether? Market Analyst Santiment Thinks Not - May 14, 2018
- Constellation Sets out to Build Fast, Scalable Blockchain Using DAG - April 17, 2018
- Monex Buys Post-Hack Coincheck for $33.5M, Aims For Eventual IPO - April 9, 2018
- Award-Winning Eligma Announces $24M ICO To Unify Online Shopping - April 5, 2018
- Algebraix Launches Public Token Sale With Help From CoinList API - March 29, 2018
- ALAX and Gionee Partner to Bring Mobile Gaming to the World’s Underbanked - March 22, 2018
- Havven Raises $30m for USD-Pegged Stablecoin Network - March 2, 2018
- iOlite Launches Foundation and ICO to Democratize Smart Contracts - March 2, 2018
- Australia’s Shping Launches Token to Change How Advertisers Reach Consumers - February 26, 2018
- HelloGold’s GOLDX: World’s First Shariah-Compliant Crypto Asset - February 21, 2018