Libertarian and Austrian Economist Ron Paul has backed the combination of cryptocurrencies and precious metals to bring back the Gold Standard. Paul, who ran for U.S. President in 1998, released a paper last month in which he argued that they can co-exist to prevent the current major market makers from “rigging the economy”.
In “The Dollar Dilemma: Where to From Here?”, he criticizes the current financial system and blames those who run the economy, including the ‘Deep State’ which, he says, controls central economic planning.
“Rigging the economy is required to prevent market forces from demanding a halt to the mistakes that planners continuously make. This deceptive policy can last only for a limited time. Ultimately, the market proves more powerful than government manipulation of economic events,” Paul said, in the paper.
Paul acknowledges that it will take a long time for cryptocurrencies to get accepted into the mainstream. He says that it will take a ‘significant amount of time to reach consensus’ but that the marketplace will adopt the right model once government indecision is out of the way.
He believes that “It’s conceivable that cryptocurrencies, using blockchain technology, and a gold standard could exist together, rather than posing an either-or choice. Different currencies may be used for certain transactions for efficiency reasons.”
Several cryptocurrencies already exist that are gold-backed. DigixDAO uses ERC20 tokens to provide proof that the user owns the gold. Each DGX token represents one gram of gold. Goldscape list at least 50 projects in various stages of development that aim to provide a token backed by gold.
Paul also argues that cryptocurrencies that are backed by gold will encourage faster adoption. As it will be more relatable to fiat, it will be more achievable to progress to this type of coin, instead of getting people to adapt to something completely dissimilar to what they are used to.
- Neufund Partners with Binance and Malta Stock Exchange - July 23, 2018
- IBM Partners with Stablecoin Stronghold USD on Stellar Network - July 18, 2018
- New Blockchain Platform to Provide Digital Immortality - July 18, 2018
- NatWest Joins R3 Blockchain Finance Platform Marco Polo - July 17, 2018
- iXledger Offers New Blockchain Insurance with London Broker - July 16, 2018
- Tech Group MonetaryUnit to Acquire Flubit and Launch Crypto Marketplace - July 13, 2018
- Futuristic, Blockchain-Powered, Algae-Coated Towers Proposed for Hangzhou - July 11, 2018
- Unchain Teams with KPN and Microsoft for Enterprise Blockchain Solutions - July 11, 2018
- Zen Protocol Launches Mainnet Genesis Block - July 10, 2018
- Palladium Launches Regulated ICCO for Institutional Investors - July 10, 2018
- Malta Approves Three Regulatory Bills to Encourage Crypto Adoption - July 5, 2018
- Ron Paul: “Crypto can Bring Back Gold Standard” - July 4, 2018
- EU Report Blasts Economists Who Criticize Cryptocurrencies - July 3, 2018
- VeChain Launches Thor Blockchain. Token Swap Set for Mid-July - July 3, 2018
- Galaxy Digital Invests $20 Million in Blockchain Virtual Reality Platform - July 2, 2018
- DNAtix Pilot Blockchain Technology for Preventative Healthcare - June 28, 2018
- Regulatory Clarity Will Have a Snowball Effect on Institutional Investors - June 28, 2018
- New Platforms Open Up Smart Contracts to Non-Developers - June 28, 2018
- Hyperledger Executive Explores Real-World Uses of Blockchain - June 28, 2018
- Blockchain Tech set to “Overthrow” Current Banking System: ABM AMRO Exec - June 28, 2018