David Gallo, a globally-respected oceanographer, announced his new position as vice president for exploration on July 7 for the blockchain marine archaeology startup PO8, which is based in the Bahamas.
PO8 utilizes blockchain technology to maintain transparency in their underwater discoveries, a benefit not only for investors, but for the Bahamian government as well. For the past 18 years, The Commonwealth of the Bahamas has upheld a moratorium over its oceans after years of looting and corruption sanctioned by archaeological expeditions. In the surrounding waters are billions of dollars worth of treasure and artifacts that date back to 1556-1790, the era of the Spanish Empire’s Galleon treasure ships.
“To me, PO8 is the most exciting project to come along in decades,” Gallo said in a press release. “It encourages the development of new technologies and techniques for undersea exploration and visualization. In doing so, PO8 will accelerate the ability to locate, document and protect the precious artifacts of Bahamian undersea cultural resources… rich with shipwrecks but also with unlimited treasurers of the mind.”
Previously, Gallo worked as co-expedition leader, creating the first detailed map of the RMS Titanic. Gallo was also part of the team that successfully found Air France flight 447’s crash site.
The PO8 team has already begun planning exploratory missions. “We’ve… identified a couple of locations with cargo manifest records indicating the loads are significant in value,” Matthew Arnett, CEO and co-founder of PO8 said in a press release.
In addition, PO8 is currently hosting an Initial Coin Offering for its Non Fungible Token (NFT). The tokens will represent digital ownership of physical assets recovered by the oceanographers on their expeditions. By using cryptocurrency as a form of ownership, the PO8 foundation will be able to study the artifacts and exhibit them in museums around the world with no need for physical ownership.
Image courtesy of Linda Hall Library
- Chicago Blockchain Project to Hold First Voice of Blockchain Event - July 31, 2018
- How the .HIVE Gaming App is Buzzing Into the Cryptosphere - July 25, 2018
- What Would Happen if Bitcoin Crashed? Not Much - July 23, 2018
- Venture Capitalist Rumi Morales on the Crypto-Space - July 23, 2018
- Brian Armstrong and Vitalik Buterin Make a Rihanna Sandwich in Fortune’s “40 Under 40” - July 23, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: Barry Silbert, Bernie Sanders and ‘Supine Ignorance’ - July 20, 2018
- What Do Jeremy Renner of ‘The Avengers’ and a $40 Million Bitcoin Heist Have in Common? - July 17, 2018
- Bitcoin Will Reach $20,000 USD by End of 2018, Says Expert - July 16, 2018
- Accenture and Thales Debut Blockchain Technology for the Aerospace Industry at Farnborough - July 16, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: ‘Burn in hell,’ Facebook Acquiring Coinbase? - July 13, 2018
- Quantum Computing Will Impact Blockchain Technology — Find Out How - July 13, 2018
- Behind the Scenes of Ivan on Tech’s Crypto YouTube Channel - July 13, 2018
- Taking on Alexa and Cortana, Snips Debuts Blockchain-Based AI Assistant - July 13, 2018
- Trump Delivers Executive Order to Establish Crypto Fraud Investigations Task Force - July 13, 2018
- How Vitalik Buterin’s “Burn in Hell” Comment Sparked Discussion on Centralized Exchanges - July 12, 2018
- Google Missed Out on the Blockchain Frontier: Sergey Brin - July 12, 2018
- FinTank Panel: Blockchain Beyond Banking - July 11, 2018
- Bancor Set to Reactivate After $13.5 Million USD Security Breach - July 10, 2018
- Walmart Files Patent to Use Blockchain in Securing Package Deliveries - July 10, 2018
- YouTube Named in Class-Action Lawsuit Against BitConnect - July 10, 2018