Gemini, a cryptocurrency exchange founded by brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss in 2014, announced on July 6 that Robert Cornish, a former New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) executive would be joining the company as its first-ever Chief Technology Officer.
At the NYSE, Cornish worked in technology and was included in Institutional Investor’s “Trading Technology Top 40” in 2016. In his work with Gemini, Cornish will focus on technology initiatives and Nasdaq’s SMARTS Market Surveillance technology, which allows Gemini to flag any illicit activity on the exchange.
“Rob is a tremendous addition to our team,” said Tyler Winklevoss, CEO of Gemini, in a press release. “He will ensure that Gemini continues to deliver the best platform experience to our customers as possible and set the standards of excellence for the cryptocurrency industry as a whole.”
According to the press release, Cornish joins Gemini “at a time of incredible growth.” The company became the first cryptocurrency exchange in the world to be licensed to trade Zcash in May, and will soon be licensed to exchange Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin on the platform.
Cornish is also one of a tidal wave of Wall Street executives who have begun moving into the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry, including Priyanka Lilaramani who joined HOLD, a crypto startup, in May 2018. Others include David Marcus, a former PayPal and Facebook executive, who joined Coinbase’s board of directors in December 2017 and Rumi Morales, a former venture capitalist at CME Ventures, who announced her switch to blockchain investment firm Outlier Ventures in June 2018.
“While the New York Stock exchange may be one of the oldest exchanges in the world… they have pushed the envelope so far that they are breaking sound barriers,” Cameron Winklevoss, president of Gemini, told Forbes. “There are things that New York is doing that nobody else in the world is doing, and those things happen to be very relevant to what Gemini is doing.”
- Chicago Blockchain Project to Hold First Voice of Blockchain Event - July 31, 2018
- How the .HIVE Gaming App is Buzzing Into the Cryptosphere - July 25, 2018
- What Would Happen if Bitcoin Crashed? Not Much - July 23, 2018
- Venture Capitalist Rumi Morales on the Crypto-Space - July 23, 2018
- Brian Armstrong and Vitalik Buterin Make a Rihanna Sandwich in Fortune’s “40 Under 40” - July 23, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: Barry Silbert, Bernie Sanders and ‘Supine Ignorance’ - July 20, 2018
- What Do Jeremy Renner of ‘The Avengers’ and a $40 Million Bitcoin Heist Have in Common? - July 17, 2018
- Bitcoin Will Reach $20,000 USD by End of 2018, Says Expert - July 16, 2018
- Accenture and Thales Debut Blockchain Technology for the Aerospace Industry at Farnborough - July 16, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: ‘Burn in hell,’ Facebook Acquiring Coinbase? - July 13, 2018
- Quantum Computing Will Impact Blockchain Technology — Find Out How - July 13, 2018
- Behind the Scenes of Ivan on Tech’s Crypto YouTube Channel - July 13, 2018
- Taking on Alexa and Cortana, Snips Debuts Blockchain-Based AI Assistant - July 13, 2018
- Trump Delivers Executive Order to Establish Crypto Fraud Investigations Task Force - July 13, 2018
- How Vitalik Buterin’s “Burn in Hell” Comment Sparked Discussion on Centralized Exchanges - July 12, 2018
- Google Missed Out on the Blockchain Frontier: Sergey Brin - July 12, 2018
- FinTank Panel: Blockchain Beyond Banking - July 11, 2018
- Bancor Set to Reactivate After $13.5 Million USD Security Breach - July 10, 2018
- Walmart Files Patent to Use Blockchain in Securing Package Deliveries - July 10, 2018
- YouTube Named in Class-Action Lawsuit Against BitConnect - July 10, 2018