This week, Block.one, publisher of the ground-breaking EOSIO blockchain protocol, kicked off the Grand Finale of its EOS Global Hackathon series in Cape Town. Its EOS Venture Capital business unit is set to award US$500,000 to one winning team on December 7.
The Cape Town event is the finale of the EOS Global Hackathon series, which has been held in five continents around the world this year, involving a total of 1,724 participants so far. Following the final event, EOS VC will have awarded US$1.5 million in prize money in the series.
A total of 19 teams from the previous EOS hackathons will be competing this week, with three African teams, Africonnect, B-TAX , Ubuntu Energy Ledger – all from Kenya – joining as finalists from the Block.one Africa virtual hackathon held last month.
The Grand Finale involves an Incubation Week, an intensive seven-day program in which finalists attend expert talks and sessions to learn more about important business and blockchain topics.
Each day of the Incubation Week has a different theme, such as Business Review on day one, Customer Insight on day two, Blockchain / Token on day three and Success Metrics, Investor Relations, Demo Day and Awards Ceremony being the subjects on the last three days.
Specific session topics include: know your customer, token ecosystems, financial modeling, and investor strategy, among others. Participants will also receive daily coaching and feedback from Block.one mentors on product development and how to formulate investment pitches.
The event will culminate in a Demo Day where finalists will showcase blockchain-based applications they have been working on and compete for the grand prize.
A panel of international judges, including global technology and blockchain leaders, will select the winner.
The winning project will be chosen based on the following criteria: whether it has a sustainable business model that can grow with outside investment; if it has a market large enough to succeed; the feasibility of its use as a scalable blockchain business; the quality of the presentation pitch and demo and its real-world application and the ability to solve an existing problem.
“We believe blockchain will redefine the Internet and society,” said Block.one President Rob Jesudason. “EOSIO will ease the path to adoption of blockchain technology by creating a system that makes doing business more safe, secure and transparent. The potential to change existing centralized models of commerce and communication is exponential.”
Ahead of the Demo Day and awards ceremony on December 7, finalists will also have the opportunity on December 6 to participate in a Block.one-sponsored off-site tree planting exercise.
The tree-planting is part of Block.one’s commitment to the environment and is in-keeping with its approach to the development of the EOSIO blockchain protocol, which is also more energy-efficient than other blockchains, due to its use of the Delegated Proof of Stake (DPoS) consensus mechanism and the absence of digital token mining on the blockchain.
- Nebulas could be the Future of Improving The Efficiency of Blockchain Upgrades - February 22, 2019
- ‘Decent’, a Documentary on how Blockchain can Change the World - February 22, 2019
- Blockchain in healthcare market is Expected to Reach $890.5 Million by 2023 due to Increasing Number of Partnerships and Collaborations - February 12, 2019
- Coinify Introduces myCoinify, a B2C service For Individual Traders - February 12, 2019
- Yosemite X has Announced the First Open Source Public Blockchain that Operates without a Native Cryptocurrency - February 8, 2019
- Global Investment Advisory Company says much more Stable STO might merge with, or Entirely Replace IPO - February 8, 2019
- The Chamber of Digital Commerce and Blockchain Association of Canada Join for a Stronger and more Coordinated Blockchain Ecosystem - February 6, 2019
- US Merchants can now Accept Crypytocurrency Payments from their Customers, With Fee Free Cryptocurrency Point of Sale Payment Ecosystem - February 6, 2019
- Former Last.fm’s founder shakes up user privacy access with new Slant on blockchain technology - January 31, 2019
- New Report by BlockchainDefender Links Lack of Trust in Cryptocurrency Industry to Dwindling Coin Prices - January 31, 2019
- VX Network introduces a new Crypto Based, Monopoly-Style Board Game called Crypto Marble - January 30, 2019
- China Ranked first in World of Blockchain and AI Patents Being Filed – USA Runner-up - January 24, 2019
- Block.one Releases EOSIO 1.6.0, Transaction Processing Speeds Could Increase up to 35% - January 24, 2019
- First Cannabis Validation Testing Program Reaches Markets to Create Much Needed Transparency - January 23, 2019
- Eurasian Resources Group is Piloting Blockchain Based Solution on the IBM Blockchain Platform - January 21, 2019
- Coinstar to Give Consumers a Convenient and Easy Way to Buy Bitcoin at Coinstar®Kiosks - January 18, 2019
- Tech Firm IBM and MineHub Join to Build Blockchain-Based Platform for More Efficient Metals & Mining Supply Chain Solution - January 17, 2019
- Former Director of Mobile for TripAdvisor and Viator Joins KeyoCoin Team to Help Build Intuitive Mobile Booking Platform - January 10, 2019
- Project PAI Blockchain Protocol and Blockfolio Signal Beta, Create Platform for AI-Powered 3D Avatars - December 17, 2018
- Nigerian Start-up Announces Revolutionary Global Decentralized Health Platform With A Distributed Blockchain - December 15, 2018