XYO Network is partnering with space industry leader Spaceflight to launch XYO Networks’ “EtherX” spacecraft into orbit. This is the first step in achieving its mission of decentralizing the world’s location infrastructure, which currently revolves around the centralized Global Positioning System (“GPS”), which is owned by the U.S. Air Force.
XYO Network Co-Founder Scott Scheper commented:
“Speaking personally, Ethereum inspired me to go from a long-time blockchain observer to going ‘all in’. My work is now 100 percent focused on blockchain technologies. What the Ethereum developer community and Vitalik Buterin have built, has moved the entire ecosystem forward, period. As an ode to Ethereum and Vitalik, we decided to name our first satellite the ‘EtherX.’”
“We’re pleased to provide launch services to XYO Network on an upcoming SpaceX mission,” noted Melissa Wuerl, vice president of business development at Spaceflight. “Our business is based on helping innovative, visionary companies get to space and we’re looking forward to assisting XYO Network to execute their business plan.”
The EtherX is only the first of XYO Network’s fleet of satellites. The company intends to launch a fleet of satellites named after important cryptographers and individuals who inspired them. In fact, XYO Network plans on enabling their global community of “Geohackers” to fully participate by purchasing a ‘stake’ in each satellite.
“Satellites are our first step toward building out an open location network, legitimately positioned to displace the U.S. Air Force’s GPS monopoly. Furthermore, by pairing it with XYO’s cryptographically-backed protocol, we will deliver a layer of un-spoofable location certainty which GPS can never match,” continued XYO Network Co-Founder and CMO Scott Scheper. “Every wildly successful company in history comes to the point where they can play it safe, or think bigger. Those who are part of our movement already know how we do things. We’re the crazy ones. We’re not just going to launch to the figurative moon, we’re going to the literal one. Screw it, let’s do it.”
XYO Network recently drew positive industry attention for executing a geospatial blockchain smart contract using a drone at its inaugural Spatial Summit event in front of more than 700 attendees. At the event, the company launched the fully functional XYO MainNet, dubbed “WinterNet,” making it the world’s first Geospatial Blockchain platform to go live.
dApp developers worldwide have begun creating location-based decentralized applications, called “Geodapps” – and with the upcoming launch of its satellite network, the XYO Network will gain unprecedented coverage to triangulate and validate its ground-based geospatial blockchain nodes, collectively known as “Sentinels.”
In the initial stage involving key technology partners to be announced shortly, XYO will be in a strong position to deliver an unprecedented level of location certainty to XYO Network “edge nodes,” which are powered and operated by community members all over the globe (“Geominers”).
The current XYO Network is comprised of multiple relative location-based “mesh networks.” These mesh networks are backed by a cryptographic protocol, underpinning the XYO Network. Assume a given area has its own, self-contained mesh network. Within that network all of the XYO Network edge nodes, essentially permissionless geospatial hardware operated by Geominers. Smartphones running the XYO app (also considered to be Sentinels), in the hands of people across the area, then serve as the nodes or endpoints. The connections between them, and the data transferred back and forth are invisible. Each of these nodes can communicate and verify location, resulting in what we have named “geo-mining,” and this geo-mining delivers XYO tokens for users.
Any user within the mesh network can participate, yet the challenges remain: What happens if a user is in a small town or remote location, miles from a network? How can we link these numerous, self-contained, geographically dispersed mesh networks? How can a person with a sentinel in Tennessee communicate with a person with a geo-mining kit in France? The answer to all of these questions lies in satellites and space.
PHASE TWO – PARTNERSHIP WITH SPACEFLIGHT FOR A SPACEX FALCON 9 LAUNCH
For Phase Two, XYO Network will launch its own custom satellite with Spaceflight aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 in late 2019, on SpaceX CRS-19. XYO will send its first satellite, named the “EtherX,” into orbit, in a nod to the “Ethereum” blockchain platform.
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019