XYO Network is partnering with space industry leader Spaceflight to launch XYO Networks’ “EtherX” spacecraft into orbit. This is the first step in achieving its mission of decentralizing the world’s location infrastructure, which currently revolves around the centralized Global Positioning System (“GPS”), which is owned by the U.S. Air Force.
XYO Network Co-Founder Scott Scheper commented:
“Speaking personally, Ethereum inspired me to go from a long-time blockchain observer to going ‘all in’. My work is now 100 percent focused on blockchain technologies. What the Ethereum developer community and Vitalik Buterin have built, has moved the entire ecosystem forward, period. As an ode to Ethereum and Vitalik, we decided to name our first satellite the ‘EtherX.’”
“We’re pleased to provide launch services to XYO Network on an upcoming SpaceX mission,” noted Melissa Wuerl, vice president of business development at Spaceflight. “Our business is based on helping innovative, visionary companies get to space and we’re looking forward to assisting XYO Network to execute their business plan.”
The EtherX is only the first of XYO Network’s fleet of satellites. The company intends to launch a fleet of satellites named after important cryptographers and individuals who inspired them. In fact, XYO Network plans on enabling their global community of “Geohackers” to fully participate by purchasing a ‘stake’ in each satellite.
“Satellites are our first step toward building out an open location network, legitimately positioned to displace the U.S. Air Force’s GPS monopoly. Furthermore, by pairing it with XYO’s cryptographically-backed protocol, we will deliver a layer of un-spoofable location certainty which GPS can never match,” continued XYO Network Co-Founder and CMO Scott Scheper. “Every wildly successful company in history comes to the point where they can play it safe, or think bigger. Those who are part of our movement already know how we do things. We’re the crazy ones. We’re not just going to launch to the figurative moon, we’re going to the literal one. Screw it, let’s do it.”
XYO Network recently drew positive industry attention for executing a geospatial blockchain smart contract using a drone at its inaugural Spatial Summit event in front of more than 700 attendees. At the event, the company launched the fully functional XYO MainNet, dubbed “WinterNet,” making it the world’s first Geospatial Blockchain platform to go live.
dApp developers worldwide have begun creating location-based decentralized applications, called “Geodapps” – and with the upcoming launch of its satellite network, the XYO Network will gain unprecedented coverage to triangulate and validate its ground-based geospatial blockchain nodes, collectively known as “Sentinels.”
In the initial stage involving key technology partners to be announced shortly, XYO will be in a strong position to deliver an unprecedented level of location certainty to XYO Network “edge nodes,” which are powered and operated by community members all over the globe (“Geominers”).
The current XYO Network is comprised of multiple relative location-based “mesh networks.” These mesh networks are backed by a cryptographic protocol, underpinning the XYO Network. Assume a given area has its own, self-contained mesh network. Within that network all of the XYO Network edge nodes, essentially permissionless geospatial hardware operated by Geominers. Smartphones running the XYO app (also considered to be Sentinels), in the hands of people across the area, then serve as the nodes or endpoints. The connections between them, and the data transferred back and forth are invisible. Each of these nodes can communicate and verify location, resulting in what we have named “geo-mining,” and this geo-mining delivers XYO tokens for users.
Any user within the mesh network can participate, yet the challenges remain: What happens if a user is in a small town or remote location, miles from a network? How can we link these numerous, self-contained, geographically dispersed mesh networks? How can a person with a sentinel in Tennessee communicate with a person with a geo-mining kit in France? The answer to all of these questions lies in satellites and space.
PHASE TWO – PARTNERSHIP WITH SPACEFLIGHT FOR A SPACEX FALCON 9 LAUNCH
For Phase Two, XYO Network will launch its own custom satellite with Spaceflight aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 in late 2019, on SpaceX CRS-19. XYO will send its first satellite, named the “EtherX,” into orbit, in a nod to the “Ethereum” blockchain platform.
- eToro Acquires Smart Contract Infrastructure Provider Firmo - March 25, 2019
- UPS to work with Blockchain Company Inxeption - March 25, 2019
- Kik’s Kin Cuts Deal with MadLipz and its 40m Short Form Video Creators - March 21, 2019
- Former Prime Minister of Denmark Joins Blockchain Identity Project Concordium as Strategic Advisor - March 20, 2019
- US National Pork Board and RIPE.IO Partner to Improve Sustainability, Quality, Traceability, Waste and Fraud in the Industry - March 20, 2019
- Sumner Global Launches $100M Securitized Token Offering (STO) in Middle East - March 20, 2019
- Editorial: The Rumours of ICOs’ Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated - March 18, 2019
- French NCC Deploy IBM Blockchain For Commercial and Corporate Registries - March 15, 2019
- Bcause, To Launch Full-stack Cryptocurrency Ecosystem On Nasdaq - March 13, 2019
- SEC – Ethereum is Not a Security - March 13, 2019
- US Treasury Sanctions One of Russia’s Biggest Commercial Banks Over Backing of Venezuela’s Cryptocurrency, Petro - March 13, 2019
- Fetch.AI Solves ‘Blockchain Trilemma’ with Novel Approach to Reaching Consensus - March 13, 2019
- Boerse Stuttgart Group Cut Deal with solarisBank to Develop Crypto Trading Platform - March 12, 2019
- ECCU Plans to Issue World’s First Blockchain-Based Central Bank Digital Currency in the Caribbean - March 12, 2019
- Blockchain Video Company Linius Connects Prototype to Blockchain-Centric Video Player - March 12, 2019
- Emaar, One of the World’s Largest Property Companies, Plans Loyalty and Referral Token - March 11, 2019
- European Commission Offering 32 Blockchain Startups €200.000 Equity-Free Cash for Citizen Data Control Decentralised Solutions - March 11, 2019
- One of World’s Largest Asset Managers ($2.46 trillion) Fidelity, Launches Bitcoin Service - March 11, 2019
- eToro Officially Launches Crypto Trading Platform & Wallet in the U.S. - March 7, 2019
- Smilo Platform Launches Mainnet – Decentralized, GDPR compliant, Hybrid, Multipurpose - March 7, 2019