Blockchain-focused venture capital group Algo Capital, is launching a $100 million USD fund to invest and manage significant capital in emerging disruptors building on the Algorand decentralized platform.
The Algorand protocol was created by Silvio Micali – MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award. Algo Capital invests in promising companies at all stages that are creating solutions on the decentralized Algorand platform, with an initial focus on companies building fintech applications.
Steve Kokinos, CEO of Algorand, said:
“The launch of the Algo Capital fund demonstrates the momentum of the technology that Silvio Micali has been developing for the past several years. Algo Capital and its supporting lab will accelerate opportunities for developers and businesses to realize the potential of Algorand’s protocol for a truly global and decentralized economy. We look forward to seeing first-hand the innovative projects that will develop out of the Algo Capital fund.”
Arul Murugan, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“The launch of Algo Capital signifies an invaluable opportunity to support and grow some of the world’s most promising startups that are building on the business blockchain of the future. We believe that value in the overall Algorand ecosystem will be captured by building real business and uses cases upon it, bringing hundreds of millions of users to wider blockchain adoption. Algo Capital looks forward to enabling and supporting entrepreneurs to leverage the unique benefits of the Algorand platform in innovative ways that will change the world.”
David Garcia, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“I have been active in this space for more than five years as an entrepreneur and investor. I’ve had the opportunity to learn what succeeds and what fails, beyond just the technology. We invested in Algorand due to the outstanding technical and business leadership of its team. We also recognized the massive potential and have joined forces with others to launch Algo Capital to capitalize on the potential of the Algorand ecosystem.”
Algo Capital is funded by external investors who recognize the potential Algorand has to serve as the platform to create a truly decentralized economy. Algorand, a first-of-its-kind blockchain and digital currency purpose-built for business, is also an investor in Algo Capital, letting Algo Capital independently manage the fund while serving as an integral part of the growth of the Algorand ecosystem. In order to further support companies with which the fund will engage, the leadership team will establish a blockchain laboratory to provide developers and entrepreneurs with tools and resources to help them build on the Algorand platform.
The fund is managed by a diverse leadership group of four founding partners with more than six decades of combined experience in venture capital, crypto investment, and blockchain technology, including Managing Partners David Garcia and Arul Murugan. Garcia previously served as Managing Director and Partner of Ripio, and as Partner at one of the first digital asset funds in Latin America. Murugan is the Founder and former CEO of Enrich, a global leader in oracle procurement software-as-a-service, and Managing Partner of blockchain-focused venture capital firm 11-11 Ventures.
Algorand last month announced the closure of a $62 million USD equity investment, a round in which Algo Capital was a lead investor. In addition, the company onboarded senior executives Steven Kokinos as CEO and W. Sean Ford as COO to help launch the revolutionary blockchain. Kokinos is the Founder of global, cloud-based unified communications platform Fuze. Ford was previously Senior Vice President and CMO at one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies LogMeIn, Inc. (NASDAQ:LOGM).
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019