Blockchain-focused venture capital group Algo Capital, is launching a $100 million USD fund to invest and manage significant capital in emerging disruptors building on the Algorand decentralized platform.
The Algorand protocol was created by Silvio Micali – MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award. Algo Capital invests in promising companies at all stages that are creating solutions on the decentralized Algorand platform, with an initial focus on companies building fintech applications.
Steve Kokinos, CEO of Algorand, said:
“The launch of the Algo Capital fund demonstrates the momentum of the technology that Silvio Micali has been developing for the past several years. Algo Capital and its supporting lab will accelerate opportunities for developers and businesses to realize the potential of Algorand’s protocol for a truly global and decentralized economy. We look forward to seeing first-hand the innovative projects that will develop out of the Algo Capital fund.”
Arul Murugan, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“The launch of Algo Capital signifies an invaluable opportunity to support and grow some of the world’s most promising startups that are building on the business blockchain of the future. We believe that value in the overall Algorand ecosystem will be captured by building real business and uses cases upon it, bringing hundreds of millions of users to wider blockchain adoption. Algo Capital looks forward to enabling and supporting entrepreneurs to leverage the unique benefits of the Algorand platform in innovative ways that will change the world.”
David Garcia, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“I have been active in this space for more than five years as an entrepreneur and investor. I’ve had the opportunity to learn what succeeds and what fails, beyond just the technology. We invested in Algorand due to the outstanding technical and business leadership of its team. We also recognized the massive potential and have joined forces with others to launch Algo Capital to capitalize on the potential of the Algorand ecosystem.”
Algo Capital is funded by external investors who recognize the potential Algorand has to serve as the platform to create a truly decentralized economy. Algorand, a first-of-its-kind blockchain and digital currency purpose-built for business, is also an investor in Algo Capital, letting Algo Capital independently manage the fund while serving as an integral part of the growth of the Algorand ecosystem. In order to further support companies with which the fund will engage, the leadership team will establish a blockchain laboratory to provide developers and entrepreneurs with tools and resources to help them build on the Algorand platform.
The fund is managed by a diverse leadership group of four founding partners with more than six decades of combined experience in venture capital, crypto investment, and blockchain technology, including Managing Partners David Garcia and Arul Murugan. Garcia previously served as Managing Director and Partner of Ripio, and as Partner at one of the first digital asset funds in Latin America. Murugan is the Founder and former CEO of Enrich, a global leader in oracle procurement software-as-a-service, and Managing Partner of blockchain-focused venture capital firm 11-11 Ventures.
Algorand last month announced the closure of a $62 million USD equity investment, a round in which Algo Capital was a lead investor. In addition, the company onboarded senior executives Steven Kokinos as CEO and W. Sean Ford as COO to help launch the revolutionary blockchain. Kokinos is the Founder of global, cloud-based unified communications platform Fuze. Ford was previously Senior Vice President and CMO at one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies LogMeIn, Inc. (NASDAQ:LOGM).
- Juventus Become The First Football Club In The World To Be Tokenized - December 3, 2019
- London’s Travala.com Teams Up With Amsterdam’s Booking.com In Massive Crypto Travel Deal - November 28, 2019
- High-Powered Group of Legal Experts Determine Cryptoassets and Smart Contracts Legal Under UK Law - November 21, 2019
- Hyperledger Adds Eight New Members – Rolls out Updates - November 21, 2019
- Failed ICO, Token Sale Project SNIPs Acquired by Sonos for $37.5 Million - November 21, 2019
- Algorand Launches Protocol Upgrade, Setting the Stage for the Next Wave of Distributed App Development - November 21, 2019
- ArcBlock Partners with Ride-Sharing Service GoFun to Develop Services and DApps on Blockchain - November 20, 2019
- Hacktivist Phineas Fisher Cracks Cayman National Bank and Trust – Offers $100,000 Bitcoin/Monero Bounty To Other to Hack Banks, Big Companies - November 20, 2019
- Graph Blockchain to Acquire Shroom Street – Cracking Psychedelics Market - November 20, 2019
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019