Blockchain-focused venture capital group Algo Capital, is launching a $100 million USD fund to invest and manage significant capital in emerging disruptors building on the Algorand decentralized platform.
The Algorand protocol was created by Silvio Micali – MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award. Algo Capital invests in promising companies at all stages that are creating solutions on the decentralized Algorand platform, with an initial focus on companies building fintech applications.
Steve Kokinos, CEO of Algorand, said:
“The launch of the Algo Capital fund demonstrates the momentum of the technology that Silvio Micali has been developing for the past several years. Algo Capital and its supporting lab will accelerate opportunities for developers and businesses to realize the potential of Algorand’s protocol for a truly global and decentralized economy. We look forward to seeing first-hand the innovative projects that will develop out of the Algo Capital fund.”
Arul Murugan, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“The launch of Algo Capital signifies an invaluable opportunity to support and grow some of the world’s most promising startups that are building on the business blockchain of the future. We believe that value in the overall Algorand ecosystem will be captured by building real business and uses cases upon it, bringing hundreds of millions of users to wider blockchain adoption. Algo Capital looks forward to enabling and supporting entrepreneurs to leverage the unique benefits of the Algorand platform in innovative ways that will change the world.”
David Garcia, the Managing Partner of Algo Capital, said:
“I have been active in this space for more than five years as an entrepreneur and investor. I’ve had the opportunity to learn what succeeds and what fails, beyond just the technology. We invested in Algorand due to the outstanding technical and business leadership of its team. We also recognized the massive potential and have joined forces with others to launch Algo Capital to capitalize on the potential of the Algorand ecosystem.”
Algo Capital is funded by external investors who recognize the potential Algorand has to serve as the platform to create a truly decentralized economy. Algorand, a first-of-its-kind blockchain and digital currency purpose-built for business, is also an investor in Algo Capital, letting Algo Capital independently manage the fund while serving as an integral part of the growth of the Algorand ecosystem. In order to further support companies with which the fund will engage, the leadership team will establish a blockchain laboratory to provide developers and entrepreneurs with tools and resources to help them build on the Algorand platform.
The fund is managed by a diverse leadership group of four founding partners with more than six decades of combined experience in venture capital, crypto investment, and blockchain technology, including Managing Partners David Garcia and Arul Murugan. Garcia previously served as Managing Director and Partner of Ripio, and as Partner at one of the first digital asset funds in Latin America. Murugan is the Founder and former CEO of Enrich, a global leader in oracle procurement software-as-a-service, and Managing Partner of blockchain-focused venture capital firm 11-11 Ventures.
Algorand last month announced the closure of a $62 million USD equity investment, a round in which Algo Capital was a lead investor. In addition, the company onboarded senior executives Steven Kokinos as CEO and W. Sean Ford as COO to help launch the revolutionary blockchain. Kokinos is the Founder of global, cloud-based unified communications platform Fuze. Ford was previously Senior Vice President and CMO at one of the world’s top 10 public SaaS companies LogMeIn, Inc. (NASDAQ:LOGM).
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020