The Gibraltar Financial Services Commission (GFSC) has made an in-principle decision to issue a Distributed Ledger Technology licence to Quedex. This decision marks the final stage of the authorization process, as Quedex still needs to show the GFSC it can live up to the required conditions before obtaining the licence. The licence would make Quedex the first regulated crypto-centric futures and options exchange in the world.
Quedex offers its users the opportunity to trade in futures and options contracts on crypto assets on a fully-fledged, transparent and secure financial platform. It is the second exchange in the world to offer this, and with positive decision from the GFSC, the exchange could be on course to be the first ever regulated operation of its kind.
Quedex gives its client base, consisting of institutional investors, miners, hedgers and active traders the opportunity to hedge against cryptocurrency volatility. The current crypto-centric futures market sees a $4bn daily turnover and has been growing despite the bear market.
Now that an in-principle decision regarding the licence has been made Quedex is set to be the only company of its kind to be able to offer compliant services, potentially opening up enormous possibilities for institutional investors and other traders looking for a platform under proper supervision of a financial regulator.
A final DLT licence would mean submitting to the strict regulations outlined by the GFSC and injecting much needed transparency into a traditionally opaque industry.
Wiktor Gromniak, CEO and co-founder of Quedex said:
“The in-principle decision is a landmark moment for us. The licence that we are now well on our way to obtain will give customers additional protections that they can’t get anywhere else, for example around IT security, financial auditing processes and policies around effective corporate governance arrangements. It will help push crypto from unregulated grey areas into transparent environments and we are very proud to be pioneering this movement.”
Quedex is backed by committed investors with deep knowledge of the DLT economy. One of them is Wojtek Kostrzewa, former CEO of media holding ITI and former CEO of mBank among other high profile c-level roles, who currently serves as Quedex’ chairman parallel to his responsibilities as CEO of successful Blockchain startup Billon. He said:
“Quedex is that rare combination of the right idea, executed by the right people which is what investors are always looking for. Crypto futures exchanges are hot right now, just look at the recent 9 digit acquisition of CryptoFacilities by Kraken, or Nasdaq’s and ICE’s efforts to enter the arena. With the upcoming licensing Quedex has gained critical advantage and is well positioned to seize on the future.”
- ShelterZoom Creates Contract and Transaction Management Platform Marking New Contract Evolution on Blockchain - April 19, 2019
- Samsung SDS and Tech Mahindra Join to Explore Global Blockchain Market using Samsung’s Nexledger Platform - April 15, 2019
- Kudelski Security Partners with BTblock, fusing Blockchain Consulting with Technology for better Cybersecurity and Design - April 14, 2019
- Albertsons Companies is Joining Blockchain-based IBM Food Trust Network to Pilot Technology to Increase food Transparency - April 11, 2019
- Opera Announces Brand New Browser for Mac, Windows and Linux with Crypto Wallet, Web 3 Explorer and a free VPN - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Platform Insolar Accepted into BiTA, Advancing its Mission of Furthering Blockchain Adoption - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Technology Expected to Grow 66.4% in next 5 Years According to MRFR Research Findings - April 8, 2019
- Japanese Trading Platform Liquid Achieves Unicorn Status through Investments from IDG Capital and Bitmain Technologies - April 8, 2019
- 105 Organizations Announce Commitment to New Blockchain Association INATBA Created by the European Union - April 6, 2019
- Start Up Energy Transition (SET) names Blockchain Company Insolar amongst Top 100 Tech Innovators - April 4, 2019
- Bitwise Asset Management report Claims 95% of Bitcoin Trading Volumes are Fake, Overstating True Size of the Market - March 30, 2019
- Flipside Crypto’s Release of the FCAS25 Mechanism Shows Health of Crypto Industry has been on the Rise through 2018/19. - March 29, 2019
- Digix is launching DigixDao Platform, Joining Ranks of Pioneering Decentralised Autonomous Organisations in Singapore - March 28, 2019
- Quedex on Brink of Becoming World’s First Regulated Crypto-Centric Futures and Options Exchange, after in-principle Decision from GFSC - March 27, 2019
- Ugandan Orphanage able to Sustain Itself through Cryptocurrency Donations from Listeners of National Radio Show - March 26, 2019
- Blockchain-based Entertainment Platform ‘Blue Baikal’ opens Pre-Registration Event Connecting Producers, Influencers and Consumers - March 26, 2019
- French Crypto-Friendly Pacte Law Passes Second Reading in National Assembly, Senate Next - March 25, 2019
- Bamboo Capital Partners, Government of Togo and Moeda Seeds Bank Join to Launch the Bloc fund to Consolidate Social Development - March 25, 2019
- Western Union Joins Stellar Partner Thunes to Use Blockchain to Speed Up Transfers - March 25, 2019
- Dragonchain Announces Partnership with Humanitarian Organization M2030, Facilitating Donation Processes with Blockchain to Fight Malaria - March 21, 2019