A recent analysis by Bitwise Asset Management, the leading provider of cryptoasset index and beta funds, has recently claimed that 95 percent of Bitcoin’s reported trading volume is fake. The online version of their claim found here is part of their ETF submission to the SEC here – and states that widespread stats on sites like CoinMarketCap and other price trackers significantly overstate the true size of the cryptocurrency markets. According to Bitwise, the actual real average daily volume in bitcoin trading is closer to $270 million.
The report explains that with a globally fungible commodity like bitcoin, with low transaction costs, near-zero transportation costs and low-to-zero storage costs, one would expect the bitcoin market to be uniquely orderly and efficient, with tight
spreads and nearly perfect arbitrage. Basically, Bitcoin fits the textbook definition of an
arbitrable good to a degree unmatched in history, which would suggest a uniquely
efficient market. Unfortunately, this is not the case, the data that is widely reported is also extremely wrong according to Bitwise.
“The report to the SEC lists Binance and Bitfinex as two of the 10 exchanges that have actual crypto volume… but leaves out specific information from those two exchanges that have over 50 percent of “real” volume.”
“The report states that Binance and Bitfinex comprise over 50 percent of the total bitcoin spot volume. Yet neither of these two exchanges have normal banking relationships like others in the report do.”
“Both exchanges have significant regulatory issues that make their inclusion in this presentation to SEC concerning. Binance, for example, was funded by an ICO, supported by a token that looks a lot like a security and has not been able to obtain standard banking partnerships. Bitfinex has had significant banking issues, losing several relationships – even suing Wells Fargo at one point. Both of them also use Tether.”
And another problem is, there’s never been an audit completed for Tether, which somewhat negates the claim from Bitwise that audits are more simple with crypto than other assets. In fact, Bitfinex and Binance use Tether in order to avoid having to deal with regulatory issues and banking constraints.
Cawrey also did some more excellent investigative work in finding out that Bitwise did not report in the SEC paper that they were actually financial supporters of the Blockchain Transparency Institute which provided intelligence for identifying 56 exchanges with fake volumes – which affects the objectivity of the numbers presented.
So why do exchanges report fake volumes?
CoinMarketCap is the most widely cited price tracker for cryptocurrency prices. Since CMC ranks exchanges by trading volume, exchanges are ‘incentivized’ to report false numbers to climb exchange listings so they are featured more prominently to users. Exchanges report false data for short term visibility gains, but in the process they are sacrificing the long term trust of the entire crypto space.
Trading volume is critical for liquidity, and the over-inflation of stats on widely cited trackers gives a mistaken impression of the entire market. As a result, the users in this space can’t make sound decisions because they don’t have accurate data.
New price cryptocurrency price trackers like OpenMarketCap are removing fake volumes and show users an accurate representation of the crypto markets by calculating the price and volume using data from the 10 trusted exchanges identified in the Bitwise report.
After removing exchanges with fake trading, the difference reported by Bitwise is drastic:
- 24H volume for bitcoin is 95% lower than reported on CMC
- Ethereum Classic trading volume drops by 97%, from $130M -> $4M
- Monero trading volume drops from $83M -> $2.3M
- Litecoin trading volume drops from $2B -> $48M
- ShelterZoom Creates Contract and Transaction Management Platform Marking New Contract Evolution on Blockchain - April 19, 2019
- Samsung SDS and Tech Mahindra Join to Explore Global Blockchain Market using Samsung’s Nexledger Platform - April 15, 2019
- Kudelski Security Partners with BTblock, fusing Blockchain Consulting with Technology for better Cybersecurity and Design - April 14, 2019
- Albertsons Companies is Joining Blockchain-based IBM Food Trust Network to Pilot Technology to Increase food Transparency - April 11, 2019
- Opera Announces Brand New Browser for Mac, Windows and Linux with Crypto Wallet, Web 3 Explorer and a free VPN - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Platform Insolar Accepted into BiTA, Advancing its Mission of Furthering Blockchain Adoption - April 9, 2019
- Blockchain Technology Expected to Grow 66.4% in next 5 Years According to MRFR Research Findings - April 8, 2019
- Japanese Trading Platform Liquid Achieves Unicorn Status through Investments from IDG Capital and Bitmain Technologies - April 8, 2019
- 105 Organizations Announce Commitment to New Blockchain Association INATBA Created by the European Union - April 6, 2019
- Start Up Energy Transition (SET) names Blockchain Company Insolar amongst Top 100 Tech Innovators - April 4, 2019
- Bitwise Asset Management report Claims 95% of Bitcoin Trading Volumes are Fake, Overstating True Size of the Market - March 30, 2019
- Flipside Crypto’s Release of the FCAS25 Mechanism Shows Health of Crypto Industry has been on the Rise through 2018/19. - March 29, 2019
- Digix is launching DigixDao Platform, Joining Ranks of Pioneering Decentralised Autonomous Organisations in Singapore - March 28, 2019
- Quedex on Brink of Becoming World’s First Regulated Crypto-Centric Futures and Options Exchange, after in-principle Decision from GFSC - March 27, 2019
- Ugandan Orphanage able to Sustain Itself through Cryptocurrency Donations from Listeners of National Radio Show - March 26, 2019
- Blockchain-based Entertainment Platform ‘Blue Baikal’ opens Pre-Registration Event Connecting Producers, Influencers and Consumers - March 26, 2019
- French Crypto-Friendly Pacte Law Passes Second Reading in National Assembly, Senate Next - March 25, 2019
- Bamboo Capital Partners, Government of Togo and Moeda Seeds Bank Join to Launch the Bloc fund to Consolidate Social Development - March 25, 2019
- Western Union Joins Stellar Partner Thunes to Use Blockchain to Speed Up Transfers - March 25, 2019
- Dragonchain Announces Partnership with Humanitarian Organization M2030, Facilitating Donation Processes with Blockchain to Fight Malaria - March 21, 2019