Coming off last week’s SEC issuance of a framework for digital assets, Blockstack has announced that it has filed an offering statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to conduct a $50 million token offering using the SEC Regulation A+ framework.
“Blockstack has been in a confidential submission process with the SEC, making progress as we drive towards an SEC-qualified token offering. Recently, U.S. markets have been closed to crypto projects given regulatory uncertainty, and we believe in opening the U.S. market to innovation in this area,” said Muneeb Ali, co-founder and CEO of Blockstack PBC. “We’ve been working with securities lawyers to create a legal framework that can enable blockchain protocols to comply with SEC regulations. Our framework is consistent with the latest SEC guidance released last week.”
“Upon qualification, we believe that this offering may be the first time a blockchain project receives approval to access the public U.S. securities markets,” Ali continued. “This can potentially set a precedent for others in the industry, not just for public offerings, but also as a path to launch new public blockchains and establish a path to bootstrapping decentralized ecosystems.”
If approved, the offering will be the first SEC-qualified token offering of its kind. However, in a report by Crowdinsider, late last year, the SEC has yet to approve a security token offering utilizing the Regulation A+ exemption from registration, though dozens are rumoured to be stuck in the SEC pipeline. Crowdfund Insider reported yesterday, April 10, 2019, that Republic, Republic, a crypto issuance and investment crowdfunding platform, intends on issuing their token under the Reg A+ securities exemption.
Blockstack’s decentralized computing network, created by computer scientists from Princeton University, enables engineers to build secure, privacy-focused applications: users are in control of their data instead of storing it with large tech companies. More than 80 such applications already exist on Blockstack, such as Graphite, a decentralized alternative to Google Docs, Sigle, a decentralized and open-source blogging application, and BitPatron, a subscription content service for creatives. Blockstack’s core technology is developed as open-source software with over 7,000 enthusiasts and developers and community events around the world. Blockstack previously raised over $50 million from venture investment rounds and under SEC Regulation D from investors like Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, Lux Capital, and Naval Ravikant.
- 4+ years of R&D with publications in peer-reviewed conferences
- More than 80 independent apps currently built on the network
- Over 7,000 members in the community of enthusiasts and developer
- 6,000+ Meetup Members in more than 40 groups on 6 continents
If approved by the SEC, Blockstack’s Stacks (STX) token will be offered through the stackstoken.com website. Blockstack’s filings are available at the SEC’s Edgar website. The net proceeds of the offering will be used to accelerate the development of its decentralized computing stack and app ecosystem.
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomy Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019
- Gibraltar Stock Exchange Opens the Doors to Secondary Market for Security Tokens - April 15, 2019
- Bittreo Releases Crypto Brokerage SAAS - April 14, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Head Says Cryptocurrency is Shaking the System – Wary Eye on Silicon Valley Data Collectors - April 14, 2019
- US Regulator SEC Issues First ‘No Action’ Letter for Unregistered ICO - April 13, 2019
- Jason Hanania: Architecture of a Technodemocracy – Author Interview - April 12, 2019
- Block.one’s FinLab EOS VC Fund Invests in Moonlighting - April 11, 2019
- Blockstack Files with SEC for Reg A+ Token Offering - April 11, 2019
- US Congress Introduces Bipartisan-Supported Token Taxonomy Act - April 10, 2019