Billon Digital Services, a fully owned subsidiary of Billon Group in the UK, has been awarded a whopping €2 million from the European Commission under Phase 2 of the SME Instrument, part of the Horizon 2020 framework program. The company plans to complete the build and commercialisation of its B4TDM (Blockchain for Trusted Document Management) solution for global adoption, using a proprietary distributed ledger technology that they say, was designed to deliver the highest system performance metrics in the industry.
“Today’s document management industry has struggled with fulfilling regulatory and customer requirements related to protecting document identity content, and to provide customers with control over data they choose to share or delete. With the funding from Horizon 2020, Billon will fulfill MIFiD2 and GDPR requirements with innovation that puts a customer in control of their own data and documents,” said Wojtek Kostrzewa, CEO of Billon Group.
The grant covers two years of work to complete all new functionality and to finance initial commercial actions. During this time, Billon will also have access to coaching, training, networking events, and conferences.
“Traditional IT companies typically store copies of documents in databases or in a cloud and create compressed back-ups which need to be unpacked when there is a need to modify both current and backup systems. Most blockchain solutions don’t solve this problem, as they only encrypt the time-stamp and location of data, and not the data itself,” stated Jacek Pikul, member of the board at Billon Digital Services.
The awarded solution will go beyond simply transforming paper documents to electronic format, and will encrypt and help manage access control rights. From a storage point of view, publishing documents, such as contracts, invoices or pricing, on a distributed ledger guarantees their immutability and reduces management costs by almost 50%. Beyond storage, the solution is compliant with EU regulations, including GDPR. Further, initial system tests prove the scalability of the solution, with results proving the ability to publish roughly 5 million documents on DLT daily, a KPI that will likely be exceeded during further development.
The award-winning technology has already been adopted by the Polish Credit Office (BIK). BIK uses an initial version of Billon’s software to provide the Polish banking sector with an electronic document platform that meets the regulatory requirements that electronic documents be stored in a durable medium. First banks will start using the platform for contractual communication with their clients by the end of Q2.
Billon’s proprietary DLT system encrypts whole documents on-chain, eliminating the need for expensive servers and backups. This allows businesses to elegantly delete access to specific data when a customer wants to ‘be forgotten’ as part of GDPR requirements. As well, it is the only fully regulatory compliant digital alternative to paper, as digital documents can be controlled by users long after a relationship is terminated.
Horizon 2020 is the largest EU R&D program in history, with the budget totalling almost €80B. Billon Digital Services applied for financing under Phase 2 of the SME Instrument as a part of the pilot program of the European Innovation Council, designed for SMEs creating and implementing innovations. In this round of funding, the EC received 1848 applications. Ultimately, 64 projects were selected, most of them in the area of health, engineering and ICT.
Billon created the first enterprise DLT system, unifying national currency transactions, document management and identity management into a single architecture. Our mission is to unleash the transformational capabilities of DLT in the regulated world.
Billon, founded in the UK in 2015, went behind the initial principles of blockchain by creating a new protocol for encrypting national currencies within existing regulations and were among the first to solve the challenge of transacting micropayments at scale. Billon is licensed to issue electronic money in the UK by the British regulator FCA and employs a global team of more than 80 professionals across its offices in London and Warsaw. In November 2018 the company won the world’s largest fintech festival in Singapore, organized by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, showcasing a solution to zero-cost blockchain micropayments.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020
Also published on Medium.