Seychelles-based exchange MERJ has taken the crown as the first-ever official listing of a tokenized security on a fully compliant and regulated national stock exchange. The move comes just six weeks after the company announced its plans to combine traditional financial markets with distributed ledger technology (DLT).
Listings on MERJ represent more than one-fifth of the national GDP of the Republic of Seychelles, a key metric in evaluating the maturity of a market economy.
MERJ is using the Ethereum blockchain to record the share register ownership. The exchange chose Ethereum because at this stage it is the best-supported protocol for these purposes.
“MERJ has fully leveraged its end-to-end ecosystem to deliver the world’s first publicly listed securities token,” said Edmond Tuohy, CEO of MERJ Exchange. “We are combining the best of the old world and the new to provide a key piece of missing infrastructure for the growth of digital assets.”
MERJ will follow its listing, completed today, by offering 16% of the tokenized shares in a public offering later this year and is in discussion with several companies planning to list their tokenized shares on its exchange. The listing brings tokenized securities under the umbrella of an internationally compliant, regulated bourse for the first time. It enables MERJ — which is licensed by the Seychelles Financial Services Authority as a securities exchange, clearing agency, and securities facility — to provide an end-to-end infrastructure that is compliant with the highest global standards of investor protection.
“Whether they’re issuing tokenized or traditional shares, companies are not going to want to go to a jurisdiction that doesn’t meet high international standards because it will attract greater scrutiny from global regulators,” said Tuohy. “There is no regulatory arbitrage; people want clarity and simplicity, not added complexity. We’ve spent three years working with our regulators to build a robust and compliant framework for issuers wanting to leverage the benefits of distributed ledger technology within a publicly listed environment. Our listing today and the interest from other corporate issuers demonstrates the validity of what we have built.”
MERJ plans to use blockchain technology to streamline every process that takes place in securities markets — from issuance to shareholder registers, to compliance, distribution and voting — ultimately reducing costs for investors and issuers. The technology creates an access point to the capital markets, which is particularly suited to the “mobile first” ecosystems in many emerging markets.
The Seychelles exchange developed as a result of the IMF and the World Bank working with the islands’ government to develop a financial services sector, in coordination with international agencies like the OECD and FATF, ensuring compliance with the highest international standards.
The FSA Seychelles is an associate member of IOSCO and MERJ is an affiliate member of the World Federation of Exchanges. MERJ’s regulated infrastructure combines an exchange, clearinghouse and central securities depository. This structure is a key advantage in delivering on the many benefits of tokenization.
The exchange has worked since 2013 to build a solid foundation for international issuers and investors and now includes listings from across North America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa.
- New Satoshi on the Block Plans a ‘Reveal’ – Bitcoin Community Responds - August 19, 2019
- Binance Announces Open Blockchain Project ‘Venus’ – Calls on Governments, Companies and Organizations to Develop Localized Stablecoins - August 19, 2019
- Blockchain-Fueled VeganNation raises $10 million for Vegan Global Marketplace - August 19, 2019
- Fight to Flame – Mike Tyson Denies Issuing Token and Working With Fight2Fame - August 17, 2019
- Bitcoin Wealth is Almost 50 Times More Concentrated than Global Wealth According to PARSIQ Research - August 16, 2019
- Graph Blockchain Signs LOI to Acquire Cyberanking Ltd. an Esports Company - August 16, 2019
- Blockchain Moves Into The US’s Largest Oil Fields With Data Gumbo - August 16, 2019
- BlockStar Teams Up With Cycling Apparel Brand De Marchi to Auction Fausto Coppi’s Cycling Jersey - August 16, 2019
- Zcoin Available to Five Million Merchants in Thailand - August 16, 2019
- Republic Partners with Althea to Launch First-Ever Compliant Security Airdrop for Retail Investors in the U.S. and Abroad - August 14, 2019
- Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks Basketball Team Join Up With Bitpay To Accept Bitcoin For Tickets And Gear - August 14, 2019
- Mike Tyson Launches Fight to Fame – Crypto-Driven, Blockchain-Fueled Fighter Booster - August 14, 2019
- Blox Survey: Ninety-Five Percent of US CPAs Believe Clients are Not Disclosing All their Digital Assets and Transactions - August 13, 2019
- New Zealand Allows for Employee Payments to be Made in Cryptocurrency - August 13, 2019
- USA SEC Postpones Decision on Three Bitcoin ETFs - August 13, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Thefts, Scams and Fraud May Exceed $4.3 Billion For 2019 - August 12, 2019
- China’s Central Bank Gears Up to Launch it’s Own Cryptocurrency - August 12, 2019
- Overstock: Retail Traders Can Now Invest in STOs at tZERO - August 9, 2019
- Merj Rolls Out The First-ever Official Listing Of A Tokenized Security On A Regulated National Stock Exchange - August 9, 2019
- Commerzbank And Daimler Trucks Test Machine-to-machine Payments On Blockchain - August 9, 2019