A new law on digital rights enacted by the Russian government on October 1, 2019, establishing the basic definition of tokens and set new rules for smart contracts.
But it falls short of legislation governing digital assets and investment platforms that offer them. Such rules have yet to be adopted. However, the Russian government is currently reviewing two other bills, on attracting investments using investment platforms and digital financial assets and once (or if) adopted – these bills, together with the Law, should sort out regularity uncertainty for the blockchain and crypto communities in Russia.
Regnum.ru reports from Russia:
“The norms also govern the sphere of smart contracts,” said Pavel Krasheninnikov, the head of the State Duma’s legislative committee. “That is, the condition for the automatic execution of a [smart] contract will begin to apply. First of all, such contractual terms are common in the banking sector, for example, a client can charge a bank to write off utility bills in “auto-payment” mode.”
According to the report at Regnum.ru, the Civil Code is further supported by a new rule stating that a transaction may provide for obligation fulfillment by its parties under certain circumstances – using technologies such as blockchain – where the information system will execute contracts itself.
“The law addresses the issue of legalizing the collection and processing of significant arrays of anonymized information (big data). Basic norms are being fixed for regulating the circulation of digital rights and, very importantly, judicial protection of the rights of citizens and legal entities arising in the relations of the digital economy will be provided, Krasheninnikov emphasized.”
According to legal pundits at CMS Law, even though the Law introduces a new concept of digital rights, its practical implementation depends on when, and in what form, other laws governing the exercise of digital rights will be adopted, and how the courts will interpret them.
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019