Yuko Seimei, president of Tokyo’s securities giant Monex Inc. has announced that, together with five other securities companies, the Japan Security Token Offering Association (JSTOA) has been formed. Seemingly a competitor to Japan Security Token Association (JSTA).
The five other companies include SBI Securities Co. Ltd., kabu.com Securities Co. Ltd., Daiwa Securities Co. Ltd., Nomura Securities Co. Ltd., and Rakuten Securities, Inc., and the JSTOA will be chaired by Yoshitaka Kitao effective, October 1, 2019.
The JSTOA will focus on self-regulation regarding security token offerings (STOs), with the aim of the healthy development of an STO fund-raising model. Similar to the role Japan Securities Dealers Association (JSDA) self governs the Japanese securities industry, FINRA plays in the USA for securities or FINMA in Switzerland, but the JSTOA will focus on tokenomics.
From the press release:
“Unlike initial coin offerings (ICOs), which have experienced some fraudulent cases, issuance and trading of security tokens are legally recognized and prescribed. STOs have been gaining popularity in the U.S. and other countries as a new methodology of financing. Japan is also following the trend and is ensuring that sufficient conditions are in place for STOs to become widely used. For example, in May 2019, “Amendments to the Payment Services Act, etc. in response to the diversification of financial transactions associated with the development of information communication technology” was enacted in which “Rights to Transfer Electronically-Recorded Claims” is prescribed.”
The JSTOA plans to consolidate expertise from Japanese securities companies and other entities so that the STO business opportunities can be further explored and developed in Japan. The association is planning to obtain certification as an Authorized Financial Instruments Firms Association based on the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and to fully leverage its capabilities as a self-regulatory organization.
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
Also published on Medium.