Thailand’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has allowed Bangkok-based SE Digital (a subsidiary of Seamico Securities) to provide a fully regulated Initial Coin Offering (ICO) platform. Thailand will become one of the first countries in Asia to offer the sale of digital tokens in a fully legal way. Thailand has been one of the most proactive cryptocurrency jurisdictions in Asia with a regular flow of regulatory guidelines focussed on promoting the blockchain and cryptocurrency industries.
According to an official letter to the head of Thailand’s Stock Exchange, the game is on:
According to the Reference letter Seamico Securities Public Company Limited (the “Company”) informed the Stock Exchange of Thailand that SE Digital Company Limited (“SE Digital”), a 99.99% subsidiary of the Company has obtained an approval to operate as an ICO Portal but subject to demonstrating the readiness of the ICO Portal platform.
Please note that the Office of Securities and Exchange Commission has informed SE Digital on 7 October 2019 that the operational system to operate as an ICO Portal is ready and SE Digital would be able to initiate its business.
Please be informed accordingly.
SEAMICO SECURITIES PLC.
Reports from the Thai media indicate they will also launch their own investment token valued around THB 3 billion (USD $98 million).
“SE Digital Co., Ltd. (SE Digital), a subsidiary of a leading Thai financial services firm, Seamico Securities Plc (ZMICO), has officially obtained approval from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to fully operate in Thailand as an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) Portal. Its inaugural ICO Portal operation will mark the official beginning of the regulated digital capital market and drive the transformation of Thailand into an advanced economy.”
Jesadavat Priebjrivat, Chief Executive Officer of SE Digital told the Bankok Post:
“We are glad to have obtained an approval to operate as the official ICO Portal and are excited to turn a new page on Thailand’s capital market history as the country will become one of the first nations in ASEAN to offer regulated digital token offerings. Having obtained an approval from the SEC, SE Digital will be able to promote the tokenisation of traditional assets providing investors with access to previously illiquid and difficult to access assets such as commercial real estate and investment products with global exposure, while offering issuers with a new fundraising alternative that allows access to a wider pool of capital providers with cost savings accrued from the digitisation on the blockchain.”
SE Digital says they want to establish a central station for digital token offerings, including strategic advisory, primary issuance and support for secondary market access including lifecycle management of digital tokens from compliance to investor communications.
The company will screen issuers that are looking to raise capital before they seek approval from the SEC as well as perform KYC and AML on retail investors in Thailand, institutional investors, ultra-high net worth individuals, venture capital, and private equity funds who can also invest in these digital tokens.
Stephen Ng, Chief Marketing Officer of SE Digital told the Bankok Post:
“We are thrilled to be part of the digital transformation journey here in Thailand – Thailand already has a strong foundation for digital transformation, such as its positioning as a regional financial hub, a growing and vibrant start-up community, and a progressive regulatory regime that promotes digital innovation. We look forward to contributing to this journey. Combining our partners’ global expertise with our local know-how and a large customer base, we are well-positioned to become the leader in asset tokenisation, democratising financing for and access to traditional assets. We aim to work closely with our partners to launch investment tokens and we are excited to bring the concept of digital capital market to actual implementation.”
“In addition, our ICO Portal will not only enable issuers and investors to capture the unexplored opportunities previously beyond their reach but also attract businesses and technology companies interested in digital tokens to Thailand. This will, in the long-run, support Thailand’s digital economic transformation,” added Stephen. “As asset tokenisation fully takes hold, it will help bolster innovation and competitiveness of Thailand’s capital markets. This digital transformation will bring Thais, public sectors and private sectors forward by providing them with greater access to capital formation and new investment opportunities, enhancing transparency, and automating of costly compliance requirements,” Stephen concluded.
Seamico Securities Plc (“SEAMICO”) was officially established in 1974. The company has been approved by the Ministry of Finance and the Securities and Exchange Commission to engage in business activities related to the securities industry including Securities Brokerage, Securities and Derivatives Trading, Investment Advisory, Securities Underwriting, Financial Advisory, Derivatives Agent and Asset Management. The company operates under the brand concept “Values Beyond Money”, is a “Great Ideas” professional financial company that offers innovative investment products.
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019
- Interview: Brock Pierce and Two Prime’s Alexander S. Blum - November 4, 2019
- Samsung Bullish on Blockchain – Pushing for Developers on New Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK - November 1, 2019
- Busted: SEC and CFTC Nail First Global Credit – a Swiss Security-Based Bitcoin Swaps Dealer That Allegedly Aimed at American Investors - November 1, 2019
- Zilliqa and Oxford Women in Computer Science Society Join to Bring Diversity to Blockchain Sector - November 1, 2019
- VeganNation Add Brazilian Football Superstar Cafu to It’s Advisory Board - October 31, 2019
- Alliance Investments Announces Plans Tokenization of £500m in UK Real Estate in STOs - October 31, 2019
Also published on Medium.