Blockchain company Immutable, who build video games with player-owned assets, closed off the “Genesis Sale” for their game Gods Unchained, the highest-grossing and most popular blockchain game since its announcement in July of last year. In an announcement declaring the end of the sale, the developers also shared details about their new marketplace, set to launch in the next few days. Given the open nature of the assets, however, players will also have the opportunity to trade their in-game cards and items on a variety of 3rd party and community websites, none of which require Immutable’s permission to operate.
“We’re levelling up the outdated practices of the gaming industry,” said CEO James Ferguson. “Players hold immutable rights for the items they purchase or can earn in Gods Unchained, and thankfully the community that has cropped up and this accomplishment in itself proves people are excited.”
The sale ended by selling out of all remaining card packs, hitting the set goal of 33,333 ETH in sales worth approximately $6.2 million USD at press time.
The game recently made global news offering to pay the lost tournament earnings to professional esports player, Blitzchung, after he was banned from competitive play and had his tournament earnings stripped by Blizzard for saying “Free Hong Kong. Revolution of our time” during a post-game interview.
@Blizzard_Ent just banned @blitzchungHS and stripped his Hearthstone winnings because they care about money more than freedom. We will pay for ALL his lost winnings and a ticket to our $500k tournament: no player should be punished for their beliefs. #freegaming https://t.co/ONvtkG4x9G
— Gods Unchained (@GodsUnchained) October 8, 2019
Immutable, formerly known as Fuel Games, recently received $15 million in a Series A investment round led by Naspers Ventures, part of Naspers, a global internet group and one of the largest technology investors in the world, and Galaxy Digital EOS VC Fund, a $325 million ecosystem development fund run by blockchain-focused merchant bank Galaxy Digital.
In just the beta alone, Gods Unchained has sold over 6 million cards, generating over US$5 Million in revenue, including a one-of-a-kind card sold at an auction in 2018 for US$62,000, making it the 2nd most valuable TCG card in the world. The first season of Gods Unchained includes a ‘Gods Unchained World Tournament’ with a current prize pool of over US$550,000.
Blockchain game economies unlock the transformative potential of trustless, peer-to-peer exchange, with in-game items being controlled by digital smart contracts. Together, these features allow players to buy, sell or trade assets with limited censorship or restrictions, enabling free-market economies to exist for digital in-game assets.
- Bitcoin Legend Charlie Shrem and BLOCKTV Team up to Bring Untold Stories to the Screen - February 26, 2020
- KLM To Use Blockchain to Streamline Financial Processes Thanks to Amsterdam-based Unchain and R3 - February 25, 2020
- Scottish Blockchain Company Hypervine Signs with European Space Agency Data To Improve Efficiency And Transparency For The World’s Mining Industry - February 22, 2020
- Loyyal Signs Three Year Production Agreement with The Emirates Group for Use of Blockchain Loyalty and Rewards Platform - February 21, 2020
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience - February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
Also published on Medium.