Blockchain company Immutable, who build video games with player-owned assets, closed off the “Genesis Sale” for their game Gods Unchained, the highest-grossing and most popular blockchain game since its announcement in July of last year. In an announcement declaring the end of the sale, the developers also shared details about their new marketplace, set to launch in the next few days. Given the open nature of the assets, however, players will also have the opportunity to trade their in-game cards and items on a variety of 3rd party and community websites, none of which require Immutable’s permission to operate.
“We’re levelling up the outdated practices of the gaming industry,” said CEO James Ferguson. “Players hold immutable rights for the items they purchase or can earn in Gods Unchained, and thankfully the community that has cropped up and this accomplishment in itself proves people are excited.”
The sale ended by selling out of all remaining card packs, hitting the set goal of 33,333 ETH in sales worth approximately $6.2 million USD at press time.
The game recently made global news offering to pay the lost tournament earnings to professional esports player, Blitzchung, after he was banned from competitive play and had his tournament earnings stripped by Blizzard for saying “Free Hong Kong. Revolution of our time” during a post-game interview.
@Blizzard_Ent just banned @blitzchungHS and stripped his Hearthstone winnings because they care about money more than freedom. We will pay for ALL his lost winnings and a ticket to our $500k tournament: no player should be punished for their beliefs. #freegaming https://t.co/ONvtkG4x9G
— Gods Unchained (@GodsUnchained) October 8, 2019
Immutable, formerly known as Fuel Games, recently received $15 million in a Series A investment round led by Naspers Ventures, part of Naspers, a global internet group and one of the largest technology investors in the world, and Galaxy Digital EOS VC Fund, a $325 million ecosystem development fund run by blockchain-focused merchant bank Galaxy Digital.
In just the beta alone, Gods Unchained has sold over 6 million cards, generating over US$5 Million in revenue, including a one-of-a-kind card sold at an auction in 2018 for US$62,000, making it the 2nd most valuable TCG card in the world. The first season of Gods Unchained includes a ‘Gods Unchained World Tournament’ with a current prize pool of over US$550,000.
Blockchain game economies unlock the transformative potential of trustless, peer-to-peer exchange, with in-game items being controlled by digital smart contracts. Together, these features allow players to buy, sell or trade assets with limited censorship or restrictions, enabling free-market economies to exist for digital in-game assets.
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019
- Interview: Brock Pierce and Two Prime’s Alexander S. Blum - November 4, 2019
- Samsung Bullish on Blockchain – Pushing for Developers on New Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK - November 1, 2019
- Busted: SEC and CFTC Nail First Global Credit – a Swiss Security-Based Bitcoin Swaps Dealer That Allegedly Aimed at American Investors - November 1, 2019
- Zilliqa and Oxford Women in Computer Science Society Join to Bring Diversity to Blockchain Sector - November 1, 2019
- VeganNation Add Brazilian Football Superstar Cafu to It’s Advisory Board - October 31, 2019
- Alliance Investments Announces Plans Tokenization of £500m in UK Real Estate in STOs - October 31, 2019
Also published on Medium.