LINE Corporation, a Tokyo-based subsidiary of the South Korean internet search giant Naver Corporation, plans for its subsidiary, LVC Corporation, the operator of LINE’s cryptocurrency and blockchain-related businesses, to begin trading its digital currency called LINK in Japan from as early as April 2020. The LINK token is managed by yet another subsidiary LINE TECH PLUS PTE. LTD. based in Singapore.
Now with that out of the way… this is huge news.
LINE, who raised over one billion dollars in an IPO in 2016 before the ICO bull market, has a massive revenue that exceeded $1 billion for the first time last year which puts them on top of the messaging apps revenue listings. The messaging app makes its money with stickers, various mobile apps, games, LINE friends (characters on different stickers), LINE Taxi, LINE Pay, and LINE Wow – a food delivery service.
The introduction of a cryptocurrency to a community with 600 million registered users and 217 million monthly active users is going to take tokenomics to another level, particularly if Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are also brought in for the creatives who design stickers, creating parallel markets.
LINK, trading on BITBOX cryptocurrency exchange on October 16, 2018, has been geofenced in the USA and Japan but LVC will roll out the coins in the Japanese market when Japan Virtual Currency Exchange Association (JVCEA) makes a decision on how to handle the new digital currency and the April 2020 release is tentative based on the JVCEA green light.
The LINE app began as a disaster response tool for the March 2011, Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami which damaged Japan’s telecommunications infrastructure nationwide, obliging employees at NHN Japan, a unit of South Korea’s NHN Corporation, to rely on Internet-based resources to communicate. The company’s engineers developed Line to facilitate this, and the company released its app for public use in June 2011.
According to Mansoor Iqbal at The Business of Apps, LINE Score, at its annual conference in June 2019, announced an AI-driven social credit rating system (such have been banned in the EU), AI chatbot LINE Duet, and LINE Mini App – a platform on which third parties can host pared-down versions of their apps (similar to a service offered by WeChat in China).
The Line App standard offerings include LINE Stickers and Creators Market, LINE Games and LINE Family Apps.
LINE has over 600 million registered users and 217 million monthly active users, putting them in the Top Ten Messaging Apps / Chat Apps globally by monthly active users (as of 2018). Japan provides over 80 million active users making LINE the most popular messaging service in the country.
A separate announcement will also be made once the handling of LINK on the BITMAX cryptocurrency exchange as well as other details are determined.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020
Also published on Medium.