Venezuela’s financial sector has been shut down due to government reaction of the current COVID-19 outbreak which has 33 cases have been reported so far. As a result, Peer to Peer (P2P) trading of Bitcoin has exploded in the country according to LocalBitcoins volume in Venezuela from Coindance.
According to a news report out of Venezuela, a spokesperson from La Superintendencia de Instituciones del Sector Bancario (Sudeban) indicated that only a minimum staff will be enabled to maintain the operation of electronic banking.
“The minimum personnel required for the operation and optimal use of ATMs, internet banking, interbank mobile payment, points of sale and any other form of online banking services will be enabled.”
“…the activities of the financial sector will be suspended until further notice, in the midst of the Alert State that Venezuela is going through, as a result of the arrival of the coronavirus.”
Venezuela is already in a socioeconomic and political crisis and is not prepared to face a massive epidemic with already existing and massive shortages of food staples and basic necessities, including medical supplies. On top of that, the mass emigration of Venezuelan doctors has caused hospitals to deal with chronic staff shortages.
Venezuela has also asked the IMF for $5 billion to tackle coronavirus 33 COVID-19 cases have been reported in South American country.
The catastrophe will likely put a massive dent in Venezuela’s own cryptocurrency, the Petro backed by the country’s oil (the Orinoco in Venezuela contains an estimated world-leading 1.2 trillion barrels of oil resources) and gold reserves (Venezuela has the world’s second-largest exploitable gold reserves total an estimated 10,000 tons).
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Launches Virtual Events to Connect Blockchain Community Amidst Global Coronavirus Pandemic - March 25, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Report Positive Results For Multiple Covid-19 Drug Candidates - March 25, 2020
- US Judge Slams Brakes on Telegram Token - March 25, 2020
- Game Development Companies Team Up with Blockchain Operation Forte to Unlock New Business Models for Games - March 24, 2020
- Blockchain Supply Chain Project Envoy teams up with KYC Hub - March 24, 2020
- CoinDCX, India’s Largest Cryptocurrency Exchange, Secures Successful Series A Round Led By Polychain Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, and HDR Group, operator of BitMEX - March 24, 2020
- Cartesi Launches Linux Infrastructure For Developing Blockchain DApps - March 24, 2020
- American Company HashCash Consultants Announce Coronavirus Crypto Relief Fund or CFIX - March 23, 2020
Also published on Medium.