Blockchain music streaming service Choon has beta launched its platform, giving users the opportunity to listen to new independent music and rewarding artists with its /NOTES tokens, ahead of an expected token sale this summer.
According to a press release from the company last week, the Choon beta platform now boasts over 1000 tracks from 500 artists. Several thousands more artists are on the waiting list to be added to the platform once public access is granted this spring, Choon said.
The company said by using blockchain technology, it transparently pays artists for their music streams and renders traditional intermediaries, such as record labels, publishers and royalty collecting societies, unnecessary.
By tailoring its streaming service to independent artists who own their own music and are not signed up to music legacy systems, Choon said it is able to start from scratch and create a new and innovative ecosystem for royalty payments. It said this has been achieved with proprietary Smart Record Contracts, which pay out artists daily and with full transparency.
Choon says its goal is to give independent artists a new platform to kick-start their careers away from the grip that the major record labels have over traditional streaming services.
“Thanks to advancements in technology, we’re now living in a digital era which allows us to completely redesign an entire new music industry from the ground up – one that is fit for purpose in the modern world, said Gareth Emery, co-founder of Choon, in the statement. “The legacy systems we currently work with are completely antiquated and have no place in modern society.
“The massive demand we have seen for the Choon platform has shown how many artists are looking for an alternative path. What’s more, the quality of songs we have on the platform already is incredibly high. We’re working flat out to bring as many new independent artists onto the platform as possible and grow it from there.”
Choon said its platform means more revenue for independent artists, who are paid streaming revenue from Choon’s proprietary “Streaming for Mining” model.
The company said its Real Time Royalty Network pays every artist on a pro rata basis for the number of streams their music has received each day. For music with multiple collaborators, each individual is paid according to the deal splits in their Smart Record Contract. This all happens daily on Choon, compared to other streaming services where it can take over a year for royalties to be paid.
Choon said its Smart Record Contract is an enormous improvement over a traditional paper one, storing the details on the Ethereum blockchain, which is fully transparent and requires no trust between parties or any need for lawyers.
Darude, the Finnish DJ behind platinum-selling dance track ‘Sandstorm’, is an artist on Choon and, as part of the beta launch, he has released his latest track, Kaleidoscope, exclusively on the Choon platform: “When it comes to paying artists properly for their music, the music industry has been broken for a long, long time,” he said in a statement. “There are too many intermediaries involved in the payment process and because of all the paperwork, it can sometimes take over a year to receive royalties from music streaming services.”
“Artists deserve to be fairly paid for their music, and thanks to the disruptive power of blockchain technology, we finally have a solution to enable this to happen,” Emery added. “We’re incredibly excited to help the next generation of independent artists get noticed, properly reward them for their work, and provide the boost they need to enter music full-time.
“If I were a new artist right now, there would be no way that I’d be thinking about joining a major record label or publisher. Why sign the rights to your life’s work away when, instead, you can release via the blockchain, get paid daily rather than yearly, whilst keeping all the rights yourself? It’s a win-win”.
- FunFair Launches Blockchain Casino Platform in Closed Beta - May 25, 2018
- On GDPR Day, a Blockchain Solution - May 25, 2018
- Ogilvy Hosts Rebranding Contest for Crypto Hopefuls in NYC - May 24, 2018
- MoneyToken Adds BCH, Brings Roger Ver and Mate Tokay on Board - May 24, 2018
- Japan’s Biggest Bank to Roll out Blockchain Payment System by 2020 - May 23, 2018
- Envion Legal Battle Is Latest Swiss Crypto Bust Up - May 22, 2018
- Kontakt.io Teams IoT Platform with IOTA’s Blockchain for Monitoring and Asset Tracking - May 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Launches MyClinic.com Telemedicine Platform - May 22, 2018
- Malta Picks Omnitude to Drive Blockchain Into Public Transport - May 21, 2018
- European Parliament Passes Resolution Supporting Blockchain Technology - May 21, 2018
- Leading Indian Banks Form Blockchain Trade Network with InfoSys - May 18, 2018
- Orbs Raises $118 Million to Fund Consumer Apps Blockchain Platform - May 18, 2018
- WordPress for Blockchain: Superblocks Launches with $1 Million in Funding - May 18, 2018
- Bloq Metronome Token Sale is on for June 18 - May 18, 2018
- Cloud Alternative SONM Connects a Million Devices in Fog Network - May 17, 2018
- Swarm Fund Brings FarmCoin to PE Platform to Help African Farmers - May 16, 2018
- Evident Proof and Swytch Forge Alliance for Energy Production Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- Nasdaq Powered DX.Exchange Launches Easy Trading Platform - May 15, 2018
- Lykke Creates Investment and Advisory Spinoff BVV - May 14, 2018
- EQUI Capital to Extend ICO and Widen Investment Remit - May 14, 2018
- Chinese Government to Publish Monthly Scorecard of Global Crypto Projects - May 14, 2018
- Sportsbook WinFlow Wagers on Hashgraph Ahead of Fundraising - May 14, 2018
- Adult Industry Payment Processor PumaPay Pulls in USD 117 Million in Token Sale - May 11, 2018
- ConsenSys Opens Dublin Innovation Studio - May 10, 2018
- Human Avatar Creator Ubiatar Launches Telepresence Platform and ICO - May 10, 2018
- Bloomberg Launches BGCI Crypto Index with Novogratz’s Galaxy - May 10, 2018
- MovieCoin and BANKEX Open Door to Hollywood Investment Opportunities - May 10, 2018
- Netherlands Delivers National Blockchain Agenda to Stimulate Research - May 9, 2018
- Microsoft Launches Wave of AI Development Services and Blockchain Workbench - May 9, 2018
- IOHK Sizes up Blockchain Applications with Ethiopian Government - May 9, 2018
- Independent Music Platform Choon Beta Launches with NOTES Token Payments - May 8, 2018
- Climate Change Champ Leo DiCaprio Joins Decentralized Solar Platform Kingo - May 7, 2018
- Blockstack and ShapeShift Bounty Offers USD 50k for Best Decentralized Wallet - May 7, 2018
- Origin Protocol Taps Silicon Valley and Blockchain Funds to Raise USD 28.5 Million - May 7, 2018
- ZPER Embeds Trustonic in New Mobile Wallet for Optimized Security - May 2, 2018
- MEW and Kyber Network Commence Token Swap Service - May 1, 2018
- Etherisc Platform to Host Blockchain-Based Hurricane Insurance for Puerto Rico - May 1, 2018
- Litecoin Inventor Charlie Lee Joins DMG Blockchain Advisory Board - April 30, 2018
- San Marino Partners With Polybius to Develop Blockchain Legislative Framework - April 27, 2018
- S. Korea’s RecordFarm Eyes Music Industry Disruption with RCD Token - April 26, 2018
- Bottos Launching AI Data Sharing Marketplace for Low Cost Data - April 25, 2018
- Industry Leaders React to European Parliament Vote to Tighten Crypto Regulation - April 24, 2018
- Trade Finance Platform Batavia Completes Live Pilot with Audi Shipment - April 24, 2018
- Sun Exchange Launches SUNEX Token for Solar Venture - April 23, 2018
- Pundi X Announces Token Buyback to Fuel Future Partnerships - April 19, 2018
- Marsh Works With IBM for Blockchain Proof of Commercial Insurance - April 19, 2018
- DNAtix Meets Milestone PoC with DNA Blockchain Transfer - April 17, 2018
- Korea’s Coinone Exchange Sets June Date for Indonesia Launch - April 17, 2018
- AidCoin Launches in Beta, Partners With TokenStars and LastMinute Foundation - April 9, 2018
- Quantum and River Oaks Form JV for Medical Billing Blockchain Initiative - April 9, 2018