There’s a great article today by Yessi Bello Perez at Coindesk which lays out what the payment behemoths are doing in the Blockchain space.
Banks have publicly embraced blockchain technology and prominent figures from traditional finance have also lauded its potential. But how exactly are payment giants such as MasterCard interacting with the world of crypto?
Be it through direct investment, partnerships with companies in the space or public comments on bitcoin and its underlying technology, here’s a round-up of some of the most notable interactions between payment giants and the world of crypto.
A taste of some of the reporting work… but for full article head off to Coindesk and ingest the whole piece.
MasterCard filed a patent application to be able to incorporate bitcoin into the design of a proposed online shopping cart which would be rolled out to its global customers. Despite this, MasterCard insisted the filing should not be perceived as the company’s support of bitcoin.
Visa CEO Charlie Scharf spoke about bitcoin in January last year. “There are certainly some interesting things about bitcoin and other things like it, but there are also a great deal of complexities,” he said.
Schartf went on to suggest that Visa was not actively monitoring the bitcoin space: “We feel quite comfortable with the business we have here.”
Similar to his contemporaries, Chenault said he saw more potential for bitcoin’s underlying blockchain technology than the digital currency itself.
“The protocol of bitcoin is going to be important,” he said.
Online payments leader PayPal announced its first partnerships in the bitcoin space in September 2014.
At the time, the company’s senior director of corporate strategy Scott Ellison, said the company was “proceeding gradually, supporting bitcoin in some ways today and holding off on other ways until we see how things develop”.
Bitcoin payment processors BitPay, GoCoin and Coinbase told CoinDesk the partnership had been months in the making.
- Scottish Blockchain Company Hypervine Signs with European Space Agency Data To Improve Efficiency And Transparency For The World’s Mining Industry - February 22, 2020
- Loyyal Signs Three Year Production Agreement with The Emirates Group for Use of Blockchain Loyalty and Rewards Platform - February 21, 2020
- Enjin Platform Enables Game Developers to Integrate Blockchain Assets Without Blockchain Coding Experience - February 18, 2020
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020