There’s a great article today by Yessi Bello Perez at Coindesk which lays out what the payment behemoths are doing in the Blockchain space.
Banks have publicly embraced blockchain technology and prominent figures from traditional finance have also lauded its potential. But how exactly are payment giants such as MasterCard interacting with the world of crypto?
Be it through direct investment, partnerships with companies in the space or public comments on bitcoin and its underlying technology, here’s a round-up of some of the most notable interactions between payment giants and the world of crypto.
A taste of some of the reporting work… but for full article head off to Coindesk and ingest the whole piece.
MasterCard filed a patent application to be able to incorporate bitcoin into the design of a proposed online shopping cart which would be rolled out to its global customers. Despite this, MasterCard insisted the filing should not be perceived as the company’s support of bitcoin.
Visa CEO Charlie Scharf spoke about bitcoin in January last year. “There are certainly some interesting things about bitcoin and other things like it, but there are also a great deal of complexities,” he said.
Schartf went on to suggest that Visa was not actively monitoring the bitcoin space: “We feel quite comfortable with the business we have here.”
Similar to his contemporaries, Chenault said he saw more potential for bitcoin’s underlying blockchain technology than the digital currency itself.
“The protocol of bitcoin is going to be important,” he said.
Online payments leader PayPal announced its first partnerships in the bitcoin space in September 2014.
At the time, the company’s senior director of corporate strategy Scott Ellison, said the company was “proceeding gradually, supporting bitcoin in some ways today and holding off on other ways until we see how things develop”.
Bitcoin payment processors BitPay, GoCoin and Coinbase told CoinDesk the partnership had been months in the making.
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019
- Coinanalyst Launches Socializer – New Communication Tool - September 3, 2019