Brian Behlendorf is joining the organization as executive director of the Hyperledger Project steered by The Linux Foundation, a nonprofit advancing professional open source management for mass collaboration.
The Hyperledger Project is a collaborative effort to establish, build and sustain an open, distributed ledger platform for the enterprise.
Behlendorf was a primary developer of the Apache Web server, the most popular web server software on the Internet, and a founding member of the Apache Software Foundation. He has also served on the board of the Mozilla Foundation since 2003 and the Electronic Frontier Foundation since 2013. He was the founding CTO of CollabNet and CTO of the World Economic Forum. Most recently, Behlendorf was a managing director at Mithril Capital Management LLC, a global technology investment firm.
“Brian’s contributions to open source software changed the web. Now he will do the same thing for this decade’s most promising technology – the Blockchain,” said Jim Zemlin, executive director at The Linux Foundation. “Brian’s open source roots and proven technology acumen will enable the Hyperledger project to grow a community that transcends any individual industry and becomes the world’s standard for shared ledgers.”
Behlendorf is the latest in a number of open source visionaries who have joined The Linux Foundation over the last year: Sam Ramji, formerly of Microsoft’s open source office, is CEO of Cloud Foundry Foundation; Chris Aniszczyk, formerly of Twitter, is today managing the Open Container Initiative and Cloud Native Computing Foundation; and Nicko van Sommeren, formerly of Good Technology, heads up the Core Infrastructure Initiative. Linux creator Linus Torvalds and Linux maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman are fellows at The Linux Foundation.
The Hyperledger Project was founded in December of 2015 and aims to create common distributed ledger technology that is shared, transparent and decentralized, making it ideal for application in finance and countless other areas such as manufacturing, banking, insurance and the Internet of Things. By creating a cross-industry open standard for distributed ledgers, any digital exchange with value can securely and cost-effectively be tracked and traded.
“Distributed ledgers are essential to the next generation of the Internet technology stack. The Hyperledger Project is all about bringing together developers to build common distributed ledger technology, a rising tide that will lift all boats,” said Brian Behlendorf, executive director for Hyperledger Project. “Open Source projects are great for this kind of work, but it takes a real community to fulfill that promise, and it will require collaborating with our friends in the Blockchain technology community. We’re ready to do all that right now.”
“Brian is a veteran of free and open software projects and someone I trust more than nearly anyone I know to understand and embody the values of the free and open source community,” said Joi Ito, director at MIT Media Lab. “I’ve known Brian for over 20 years and he has never betrayed the trust of the communities he serves. I am so happy and excited for both Brian and Hyperledger – a big win for both of them – and look forward to working with them both.”
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019