Unlocking Blockchain will be a game-changer for the future of financial transactions, noted panellists in a session on the innovative digital ledger today at the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2016 in Tianjin.
“Blockchain will revolutionize banking and financial services as we know it,” acknowledged Pierre Gramegna, Minister of Finance of Luxembourg, “I think it is possible that Blockchain will replace the word ‘internet’. By the time our children have children, the only time they will see the word ‘internet’ is in science and history books.”
“Some say that Blockchain is the new internet of the financial world,” pointed outAxel Lehmann, Group Chief Operating Officer and Member of the Group Executive Board, UBS Group, Switzerland.
Blockchain is a secure ledger database made up of data blocks that are shared by all users in an established, continually evolving platform. For financial organizations, Blockchain allows for faster processing time, lower costs, fewer intermediaries, greater market insight and increased transparency and compliance.
While Blockchain is viewed as the main technical innovation, or underwriter, of the crypto-currency, bitcoin, it is in no way exclusive to it. Indeed, panellists agreed that Blockchain technology has far wider applications.
“We now have non-sovereign money and it has a lot of advantages and it is just going to grow,” explained Jeremy Allaire, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Circle, USA. “The nature of accounting, insurance, corporate governance, voting, all of these systems can be moved to Blockchain technologies in the future. We are just at the start,” he said.
Blockchain technology has also opened up innovative ways to counter fraud and illegal trade, such as in blood diamonds. “When we start to think about how Blockchain technology can be applied, it can be applied at the level of objects,” explained Leanne Kemp, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Everledger, United Kingdom.
Through her start-up company, Kemp has utilized Blockchain technology to trace synthetic diamonds that have started to pepper the supply chain, with the goal of curbing diamond fraud. “I would like to see Blockchain being applied to big problems, the proliferation of counterfeit goods and financial inclusion, noted Kemp. “We should be thinking about where we are applying this technology.”
Decentralized technology industries are starting to embrace Blockchain technology, but there are important questions about how it will be regulated. On the banking hub of Luxembourg, Gramegna agreed there are still regulatory and taxation issues to be addressed. Yet governments, he said, should be forward thinking. Luxembourg, for example, was one of the first countries to legalize virtual currencies and it has the same open approach to Blockchain.
“You need a regulator that is keen. The regulator is there to apply the rules, fully and in an equal manner; but, at the same time, the regulator can be innovative,” Gramegna said. “For sharing values and assets and doing payments, all this is going to become a commodity, and for free – this will change the world in which we live.”
The World Economic Forum’s 10th Annual Meeting of the New Champions is taking place on 26-28 June in Tianjin, People’s Republic of China. Convening under the theme, The Fourth Industrial Revolution and Its Transformational Impact, more than1,700 business leaders, policy-makers and experts from over 90 countries will participate and explore more than 200 sessions over the three days of the meeting.
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018