Four of the world’s largest banks have announced a plan to develop a new form of digital cash that they say will become an industry standard to clear and settle financial trades over a private, permissioned Blockchain.
UBS, the Swiss bank, pioneered the “utility settlement coin” and has now joined forces with — as well as the broker ICAP — to pitch the idea to central banks, aiming for its first commercial launch by early 2018, according to an article in the Financial Times.
Journalist Martin Arnold writes that the move, to be announced on Wednesday, is one of the most concrete examples of banks co-operating on a specific blockchain technology to harness the power of decentralised computer networks and improve the efficiency of financial market plumbing.
“Today trading between banks and institutions is difficult, time-consuming and costly, which is why we all have big back offices,” Julio Faura, head of R&D and innovation at Santander told the Financial Times. “This is about streamlining it and making it more efficient.”
The utility settlement coin, will be based on a solution developed by Clearmatics Technologies, will let financial institutions pay for securities, such as bonds and equities, without waiting for traditional money transfers to be completed. Rather they would use digital coins that are directly convertible into cash at central banks, cutting the time and cost of post-trade settlement and clearing.
The coins, each convertible into different currencies, would be stored using the Blockchain, or distributed ledger technology, allowing them to be quickly swapped for the financial securities being traded.
Read more here.
- Graph Blockchain Implements IoT Sensors for the Agriculture and Cannabis Sector - April 23, 2019
- Blocknet Release Beta Version of Multi-Blockchain Router – XRouter - April 23, 2019
- Alt Thirty Six Raises $10 Million In Series A Funding For Cannabis Blockchain Payment Solution - April 23, 2019
- Nine Major Universities to Build Blockchain Solution for Digital Academic Credentials - April 23, 2019
- Blockmason to Launch Blockmason Credit Protocol Token (BCPT) on Binance Chain - April 23, 2019
- Vinny Lingham’s Blockchain Startup Civic Cuts New Deals with a Dozen Retail Partners - April 23, 2019
- 220 Partners at JPMorgan’s Blockchain Project – New Features - April 23, 2019
- SIM Card Swapper: 21-Year-Old Cryptocurrency Thief Gets 10 Years in US Prison - April 23, 2019
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomy Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019