Global Bank J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. announced its efforts last week to create its own private transacting platform based on Ethereum. The bank unveiled Quorum—a system that allows for private, secure, peer-to-peer transactions. With Quorum, J.P. Morgan hopes to be the one of the first in realizing the benefits that the new networking tech offers.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, J.P. Morgan Quorum Project Lead Amber Baldet said, “we have people building the most stress-tested financial systems in the world.”
“The move is a break with how some banks have approached the use of a bitcoin-style network, known generally as the Blockchain, to try to replace creaking old systems with faster new technology. Instead of creating a completely new private Blockchain, J.P. Morgan engineers say they have found a way to limit access to transactions shared via a network to people who need to know the details, like parties to the trade or a regulator.”
In a presentation at the technical steering committee meeting of the Hyperledger Project, David Voell, engineering lead, CIB Emerging Technologies, JP Morgan Chase, says the technology swaps out private transaction data for cryptographic hashes, condensed and scrambled versions of that data, which conceals their true contents. In additions, both the public and private data reside on the blockchain, but they are parsed separately.
“The key to this whole thing, again, is a single blockchain of everyone continuously checking the integrity,” Voell told BANKINGTECH.COM. But he adds there is still a “clear separation between private and public”.
The firm plans to open source the documentation and code base behind Quorum by the end of this year.
- MovieCoin Rolls Out ICO for Security and Utility Tokens - September 17, 2018
- WEF Report: 65+ Ways Blockchain Technology Can Tackle Environmental Challenges - September 17, 2018
- France Goes Bullish on ICOs – Opens Doors to Tokenomics - September 17, 2018
- Tokenomy Announces the Full Launch of Tokenomy Exchange - September 17, 2018
- Pandora Boxchain Creates Reputation Token for the Ethereum network - September 13, 2018
- DNAtix Sets a New Record: Compresses DNA Sequences to 99 per cent of Original Size - September 12, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Femergy Launches Global Entrepreneurship Platform To Tackle Tech Gender Gap - September 12, 2018
- First Crypto Marathon held in Lithuania – Runners win Tokens - September 11, 2018
- EU Holds Off on Crypto Regulation - September 11, 2018
- European Parliamentarians Propose EU-Wide ICO Regulatory Framework - September 6, 2018
- Former Prime Minister of Estonia Becomes New Chairman of Blockchain Startup Lympo - September 6, 2018
- Warhol Goes Crypto – Multi Million Dollar Group Sale to 100 Participants Using Blockchain-Fueled Maecenas Platform - September 5, 2018
- Credits and Lenovo to join forces on the Internet of Things - September 5, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Wala Wins 2018 Zambezi Prize for Innovation in Financial Inclusion - September 5, 2018
- Stellar Lumen Joins Lykke Exchange - September 3, 2018
- Arteïa, The Ultimate Decentralized Cataloging Solution To Manage The Value Of Art Collections - August 30, 2018
- Neon Exchange (NEX) – First Regulated Exchange Security Token in Europe – Announces ICO - August 30, 2018
- Evident Proof Passes Smart Contract Audit with a 100 Percent Score - August 29, 2018
- Blockchain Platform Orbs Marks Strategic Expansion Into South Korea - August 29, 2018
- Lisk Rolls Out Lisk Core 1.0 to Mainnet - August 29, 2018