Global Bank J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. announced its efforts last week to create its own private transacting platform based on Ethereum. The bank unveiled Quorum—a system that allows for private, secure, peer-to-peer transactions. With Quorum, J.P. Morgan hopes to be the one of the first in realizing the benefits that the new networking tech offers.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, J.P. Morgan Quorum Project Lead Amber Baldet said, “we have people building the most stress-tested financial systems in the world.”
“The move is a break with how some banks have approached the use of a bitcoin-style network, known generally as the Blockchain, to try to replace creaking old systems with faster new technology. Instead of creating a completely new private Blockchain, J.P. Morgan engineers say they have found a way to limit access to transactions shared via a network to people who need to know the details, like parties to the trade or a regulator.”
In a presentation at the technical steering committee meeting of the Hyperledger Project, David Voell, engineering lead, CIB Emerging Technologies, JP Morgan Chase, says the technology swaps out private transaction data for cryptographic hashes, condensed and scrambled versions of that data, which conceals their true contents. In additions, both the public and private data reside on the blockchain, but they are parsed separately.
“The key to this whole thing, again, is a single blockchain of everyone continuously checking the integrity,” Voell told BANKINGTECH.COM. But he adds there is still a “clear separation between private and public”.
The firm plans to open source the documentation and code base behind Quorum by the end of this year.
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018