Global Bank J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. announced its efforts last week to create its own private transacting platform based on Ethereum. The bank unveiled Quorum—a system that allows for private, secure, peer-to-peer transactions. With Quorum, J.P. Morgan hopes to be the one of the first in realizing the benefits that the new networking tech offers.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, J.P. Morgan Quorum Project Lead Amber Baldet said, “we have people building the most stress-tested financial systems in the world.”
“The move is a break with how some banks have approached the use of a bitcoin-style network, known generally as the Blockchain, to try to replace creaking old systems with faster new technology. Instead of creating a completely new private Blockchain, J.P. Morgan engineers say they have found a way to limit access to transactions shared via a network to people who need to know the details, like parties to the trade or a regulator.”
In a presentation at the technical steering committee meeting of the Hyperledger Project, David Voell, engineering lead, CIB Emerging Technologies, JP Morgan Chase, says the technology swaps out private transaction data for cryptographic hashes, condensed and scrambled versions of that data, which conceals their true contents. In additions, both the public and private data reside on the blockchain, but they are parsed separately.
“The key to this whole thing, again, is a single blockchain of everyone continuously checking the integrity,” Voell told BANKINGTECH.COM. But he adds there is still a “clear separation between private and public”.
The firm plans to open source the documentation and code base behind Quorum by the end of this year.
- Katallassos Launches a Standard Framework for Decentralised Derivatives - January 11, 2019
- Dutch Crypto Trading Marketplace Cryptohopper at CES 2019 - January 8, 2019
- Interview with Ammbr – A Blockchain-Enabled Mesh Network Bringing High Speed Internet to Emerging Economies - January 8, 2019
- Zion Market Research Report Explains: Global Blockchain In Energy Market likely to grow to USD 11,899 Million By 2024 - December 27, 2018
- Blythe Masters Resigns as CEO of Digital Asset - December 18, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures Uses Ravencoin Blockchain for Equity Purchase in Chainstone Labs – Completes $3.6 Million Securities Token Transfer - December 18, 2018
- Despite Market Downturn – eToro Survey Reveals Strong Interest in Cryptoasset Education - December 18, 2018
- BlockIMMO brings Blockchain Technology Platform to Tokenize Fractional Real Estate Investment - December 17, 2018
- Algorand Appoints Dual Ph.D. Rock Star Pablo Azar as Chief Economist - December 17, 2018
- Dascoin – Anatomy of Multilevel Marketing Crypto Scam – Coinmarketcap Zero - December 17, 2018
- Dutch Blockchain Company Tymlez Group Starts Trading on Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) - December 13, 2018
- DNAtix Releases Live Demo of its Blockchain based Genetic Infrastructure Platform - December 11, 2018
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain - December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 - December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund - December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution - December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans - December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global - December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City - November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018