Iterative Instinct (“i2”), a Manhattan-based venture fund, announced it had secured $1.4M in capital commitments for its $2.0M debut Blockchain fund.
I2 has a specific investment mandate to seed and develop products, services, and assets that utilize the three core technologies of the Blockchain paradigm. Those technologies are cryptographic hashing, asymmetric cryptography, and peer to peer (P2P) distributed computing.
The fund also has capital earmarked for a secondary mandate: to actively manage a portfolio of crypto-assets. Over the last year, the i2 technology team has built a proprietary level 2 trading interface to amplify its investment capabilities.
The fund was founded by emerging managers Chris Dannen (31) and Brandon Buchanan (31), each a General Partner of the fund. Mr. Buchanan was previously the Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel of a $100M AUM venture fund in New York. Mr. Dannen is a self-taught creative technologist who has worked in corporate strategy and media.
Buchanan’s expertise in securities law, venture financings and corporate governance will be a valuable asset in helping i2 and its portfolio companies navigate the nascent regulations around distributed crypto-economics. He has worked with the SEC, FINRA and CBOE in the past in his capacity as a securities and broker/dealer lawyer at WilmerHale. As a Corporate Associate at Gunderson Dettmer, he was counsel to a number of startups and venture funds with respect to formation, corporate governance, and financing matters. He also spent time as an M&A investment banker at Credit Suisse AG.
Dannen’s unique approach to product development, which places a strong emphasis on narrative, purpose, and message, will help i2’s portfolio companies attract grassroots growth and top talent. He has created and executed multi-year editorial and creative campaigns for Quartz, Fast Company, Soho House, Wired, General Assembly, Bloomberg, Samsung, and Microsoft. He currently advises two startups: Loomia, a smart fabrics company run by Thiel fellow Madison Maxey, as well as M-RAD, an award-winning architecture and design firm based in Los Angeles.
“Introducing Ethereum and Solidity,” Mr. Dannen’s fourth book, will be one of the first programming guides for the Solidity language when it is published by Apress Media on January 17, 2017.
The fund has an internal technology team. Creative director and full-stack developer Christopher McClellan is responsible for the i2 user experience across the fund’s many interfaces, including its trading suite. He is backed by a senior engineer with 25 year’s experience building large-scale Wall Street trading systems.
Fintech, software services, Blockchain-accessible hardware, and cryptographically-secured software and assets will be the focus of i2’s seed-stage venture activity.
To guide the way for highly specialized portfolio companies, the fund has added Mackenzie Millar, practitioner of venture design and strategy at Frog Design in New York and San Francisco, as its advisor for financial products and growth. Market-making activity and commodity asset strategy will be advised by Cody Hoffman, a former vice president of oil derivatives trading at JPMorgan in New York,London, and Canada. Dr. Solomon Lederer will be the fund’s Blockchain engineering advisor. He was trained in the Air Force and has a PhD in large scale sensor networks from Stonybrook University. Today he works as a software engineer for the Wall Street Journal, and operates the Coinspace, a Blockchain education venue.
I2 organizes a monthly meet-up on the emerging field of crypto-economics, held at Coinspace, which is located in the Industry City complex at Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019