The Liverpool Local Pound launched barely a month ago and already has more than 3,000 users. According to Amos Meiri, CEO of Colu, the company behind the digital currency, there is a transaction using the currency every five to 10 minutes.
Next month Meiri will launch another digital currency in East London that will also be pegged to pound sterling – with one LLP equalling £1.
According to the New Economics Forum, money spent with independent businesses circulates in the local economy up to three times longer than when it’s spent with national chains. Most local currencies aim to capitalise on this – and the LLP is no different.
“When I was a kid I used to go and buy vegetables for my mum and the grocer knew my name and knew what vegetables my mum liked,” Meiri told Telegraph Travel.
“That personal experience has got lost in the scale of a city and we want to get it back.”
Anyone with a smartphone and the Colu app can use the LLP. Users can top up their digital wallets using their credit cards and perform transactions easily, with immediate transfer of money between accounts. First time users will be credited five free LLPs.
A subscription fee of £25 per month is charged by Colu to merchants. It is also planning to levy a 5% fee on users when they take money out of circulation.
By taking advantage of locals-only offers and discounts, Colu said that consumers and merchants get more for their money if they use the LLP for purchasing goods.
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019