US Representatives Jared Polis (Democrat-Colorado.) and David Schweikert (Republican-Arizona.) officially launched the Blockchain Caucus on Thursday. The caucus will be focused on advocating for “sound public policy toward blockchain-based technologies and digital currencies.”
“Blockchain has the potential to transform the 21st century economy,” Polis said. “Lawmakers need to understand that as the world rapidly changes, it’s our responsibility to ensure that we craft policies and adapt laws that match our ingenuity. Blockchain’s potential to reshape everything from the financial industry, to supply chains, to cybersecurity, to health care is something we should embrace. I look forward to the Caucus’s upcoming policy briefings and meetings that will educate members of Congress on these innovative technologies.”
“Open Blockchain networks and distributed ledger technologies are still new, but it’s critical for members of Congress to begin comprehending both their current applications and future use cases,” Rep. Schweikert said.
“It is critically important the United States remain competitive regarding emerging technologies, and distributed ledger technology is the open, secure, efficient technology backbone we’ve been looking for.”
The Congressional Blockchain Caucus will seek to educate, engage, and provide research to help policymakers implement smart regulatory approaches to the issues raised by blockchain-based technologies and networks. Polis relaunched the bipartisan caucus alongside David Schweikert (R-Ariz.). Schweikert will replace former Co-Chair of the Blockchain Caucus, Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.).
“Coin Center is thrilled that there is now a caucus dedicated to this revolutionary technology and the important policy issues it raises,” Jerry Brito, Executive Director of Coin Center said. “Blockchain technology has the potential to revolutionize many industries, but it also presents some risks. Its development could also be hampered by outmoded regulation. We applaud Reps. Polis and Schweikert for having the foresight to create a forum for members of Congress to learn about the technology and champion its responsible development, and we’re honored to have helped them in launching this effort.
“Blockchain technology is one of the most important inventions in modern finance. Key to unleashing the power of this technology is collaboration and engagement between the industry and policy makers. Our Members look forward to playing a significant role in the development of this sector by working with Rep. Polis, Rep, Schweikert and the Blockchain Caucus towards building a legal environment that fosters innovation, jobs, and investment,” said Perianne Boring, Founder and President of the Chamber of Digital Commerce, which represents the world’s leading innovators in the blockchain technology ecosystem.
Blockchain is a decentralized distributed ledger that is the main technology powering cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum. By using math and cryptography, blockchain supplies a decentralized database of every transaction involving value. This creates a record of authenticity that is verifiable by a user community, increasing transparency and reducing fraud.
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020
- Thai Actor and Victim’s Bitcoin Buddy Implicated in Kidnapping and Ransom of Singaporean National in Thailand - January 14, 2020
- Securitize Runs First-Ever IRA Investment In Digital Securities - January 14, 2020
- NBA Star Spencer Dinwiddie “Tokenizing” His Contract With or Without NBA Green Light - January 13, 2020
- European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde Says ECB Bullish on Digital Currencies - January 13, 2020
- Canadian Crypto Company Voyager Digital Completes Acquisition of US Registered Broker-Dealer - January 13, 2020
- Cogito, Hong Kong-Based Entertainment Studio, Launches Decentralised Autonomous Virtual Horse Racing Game - January 9, 2020
- Blockchain Bandwagon Company Longfin CEO Settles with US SEC for $400,000 - January 7, 2020
- Winklevoss Brothers Invest in $5 million Seed Round for TaxBit - January 7, 2020
- Securrency Secures $17.65 million in Series A funding round Led by WisdomTree - January 7, 2020
- Measure Protocol Backed with £2m in New Funding for Blockchain-Powered Person-Based Data Marketplace - January 7, 2020
- The Next Wave of Crypto – Traction is Key – And Mobile Mining is Gaining Massive Adoption - January 2, 2020
- Google Reverses Metamask Ban from Playstore - January 1, 2020
- Bankex Launches Token Exchange Engine in Telegram - December 31, 2019