Today is the first day of the invite-only Lake Tahoe based Linux Foundation’s Open Source Leadership Summit, where Executive Director, Brian Behlendorf is to give an update to the community on Hyperledger, the largest open source private Blockchain currently being managed by the Linux team.
Behlendorf blogged on the one-year milestone:
Last February, The Linux Foundation announced 30 founding members and six of those proposed contributions of code to advance blockchain technology under Hyperledger. Fast forward to today, Hyperledger is now the fastest growing project ever hosted by The Linux Foundation. More than 110 member companies that span numerous industries make up the project and support five incubated open source projects. Hyperledger membership is truly global with 39% in APAC (25% in China), 20% in EMEA and 41% spread across North America. Below is an overview highlighting the important achievements in Hyperledger’s first year.
In May 2016, the co-founder of the Apache Software Foundation, Brian Behlendorf joined Hyperledger. Like any great collaborative effort, Hyperledger needed direction and as a veteran of free and open software projects, Brian was the perfect person to embody the values of the Hyperledger community. Not soon after, Brian laid out the vision he had for Hyperledger to become more of an umbrella effort for software developer communities building open source blockchain and related technologies. Today, Hyperledger consists of not only Fabric and Sawtooth Lake, but also Blockchain Explorer, Cello, Iroha, and many other projects are on the way.
The Fabric and Sawtooth Lake projects picked up new contributions, developer momentum, and significant commercial interest over the past year. In fact, we saw more than 25 proof of concepts and pilots built on top of the technologies in 2016 by some of the world’s leading financial services institutions. The healthcare industry started to get interested in blockchain technology in 2016, so Hyperledger launched a Healthcare Working Group in October to house and foster technical and business-level conversations about appropriate applications for blockchain technology. New members Airbus, Wanda, and Energy Blockchain Labs point to even more industries with the potential to be reinvented by blockchain technology in 2017.
“While Hyperledger is still a relatively young initiative, the strong momentum we have after just one year is truly incredible. The quantity and quality of organizations of all different sizes that have joined the project, as well as its global expansion, has established Hyperledger as the premier venue for open source collaboration for the blockchain industry. This shows great promise for Distributed Ledger Technology beyond proof of concepts to full blown production deployments in many applications and industries in 2017.”
– Dan O’Prey of Digital Asset and chair of the Hyperledger Marketing Committee.
As for the Hyperledger community, it grew to 8,848 members across 38 Meetups, all over the world. From Sydney, to Beijing, to Singapore, to Tokyo, Dubai, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Berlin, Madrid, Paris, London, Silicon Valley, New York, Boston, to many of the largest cities across the globe. Our Rocket.Chat channel has grown to more than 5,300 people.
“We held eight hackfests/hackathons in the past year in New York, Amsterdam and San Francisco, where hundreds of developers showed up to work together on Hyperledger,” stated Behlendorf.
“I’m really pleased with the progress we’ve made in the first year in building a collaborative spirit amongst the contributors on the various incubating projects. Contributions come in a variety of forms, ranging from code contributions, user feedback, use case and requirements analysis, editorial contributions on documentation and offers to lead or participate in the various technical working groups. All of these contributions help to advance the goals of Hyperledger and are equally valued.”
– Christopher Ferris of IBM and chair of the Hyperledger Technical Steering Committee
From an awareness perspective, Hyperledger was mentioned in more than 5,500 global stories in the past year, in top tier publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, American Banker, Reuters, and many others. Hyperledger garnered more than 9,000 followers on Twitter, and its other social channels also saw significant growth.
“We owe a lot of the growth and success of Hyperledger in its first year to The Linux Foundation’s model of governance (both in terms of a business and technical perspective). The model has allowed for collaboration at the highest level among organizations of all shapes and sizes, as well as for developer communities, and technical experts to iterate in an open, fair and structured manner. All contributions are valued and are encouraged within Hyperledger. As of the end of January, the project has seen 3,821 commits made by 119 contributors representing 222,865 lines of code. That’s terrific for a first-year effort, and momentum continues to grow.”
“As we head towards further maturation of the Hyperledger umbrella projects to 1.0 releases and beyond, our goal is to increase enterprise developer interest and traction by communicating the benefits of developing in a truly open community. Like we see in other thriving open source communities, the power comes from public development processes, from the “do-ocracy” where governance is based on participation, and where development ideas get input and scrutiny from some of the brightest developers in the industry. The end result of all this, is code that will change how the world works.”
“We’re excited for what the future holds; We hope that you join us in the fun: https://www.hyperledger.org/. Stay up to date with all Hyperledger news here or follow us on Twitter to stay current. We hold regular hackfests for Hyperledger, so be sure to check out the events page and join us for the next one!”
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017